Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sultans of Swing Death Metal Style

I don't normally go for Death Metal but I find this version of Sultans of Swing quite brilliant.

What do you think? Also, be sure to check out more of their videos, particularly Mary Spender's.

Ugh.

I'm not a musical snob and I love metal, but I hate when people do these "metal versions" of songs. It generally means "Add TONS of distortion and play it faster".

The beauty of this song is in the subtlety of the guitar playing and vocals (and awesome dynamic range). So tasteful and restrained, yet technically impressive.

This is just power chords and tremolo picking and screaming. (For the most part, though the girl has an interesting take on the vocals.)

They don't add anything creative or find anything 'new' in the song to call out. Just hammering away and screaming.

And that guy acting like a total clown makes it hard to watch too. Mark Knopfler he is not.

This still takes skill, but skill and talent aren't the same thing, and to me 'restraint' is a important a skill as a musician then playing 'really fast and loud'.

Sorry, Tracy.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Maybe it was just my mood yesterday but still find it entertaining. If Mary had broken out with a banjo solo, with the metal vibe toned down a bit, right in the middle, it would have been even better.

Yeah, it was partially my mood as well. I had just got done practicing guitar for like 4 hours and I think the last thing I wanted to see was a vid like this. To be fair, it was clearly labeled.

If it had held on the girl that would have improved it 100x, but they kept cutting back to the dancing clown.

Keep 'em coming Tracy, don't let my crotchety musical snobbery stop you.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I get your point, there's only one Mark Knopfler and this guy certainly isn't him. If he, or anyone else, had tried to play the song in Knopfler's style, I almost think it would be a disaster.

I would put him (Knopfler) in the same class as Pink Floyd, Queen, and other bands, which is you should NEVER try to do a faithful cover of one of their songs. They are too well-known and have a unique and iconic sound.

I agree that Leo has technique "chops". However, I think it takes talent and quite frankly balls to take a Mark Knopfler song and reimagine it as a metal song. Do I like it better than the original? Hell no, but I think it is entertaining.

Give this one a try. Musically, I like it much better than the original. However, Brittney is a looker and she made her version when she was at the height of her hotness and craziness. Hot and crazy is a strange and alluring combination.

I think you'll see after watching this one, he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I would put him (Knopfler) in the same class as Pink Floyd, Queen, and other bands, which is you should NEVER try to do a faithful cover of one of their songs....
    Generally agree, but there are those rarities like Aerosmith's cover of Come Together (since I would put The Beatles in that same category) or, well, that's all I can think of. Was gonna say Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower but that's pretty much a re-invention of the original.

Give this one a try. Musically, I like it much better than the original. However, Brittney is a looker and she made her version when she was at the height of her hotness and craziness. Hot and crazy is a strange and alluring combination.
    Do you mean Christina Aguilera? Pretty sure Genie in a Bottle was her song, could be wrong though.

I think you'll see after watching this one, he doesn't take himself too seriously.
    No, and I got that from the other video too. I don't like the "We're just screwing around!" vibe and the "Look at me! Looooook at meeeeeeee!" idiocy. The girl in them has just the right vibe, and actually does little interesting things with the vocals, while still giving a 'serious' performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    Do you mean Christina Aguilera? Pretty sure Genie in a Bottle was her song, could be wrong though.
    You are correct.

My list of unique artists was certainly not a complete list. The Beatles and Hendrix fall in there too although U2 Helter Skelter and SRV's version of Little Wing are the rare exceptions.

I hunted around a bit to find some examples I liked. I learned that I don't really like the whole idea of doing a "metal" cover of a song in general, unless you really do something interesting.

Anyways-

This one is great:

You are correct.

My list of unique artists was certainly not a complete list. The Beatles and Hendrix fall in there too although U2 Helter Skelter and SRV's version of Little Wing are the rare exceptions.
    Well, if you want Metal Britney, here you go:

Damn it Tracy, you've got me browsing for metal covers of pop songs for hours here. Anyway, I think I found *the one*:

You gotta love:

"All aboard the disco train!"

and

"I am disco man!"
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 09-08-2018 at 08:33 PM.