Bad Boys and Bad Boys II (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  Bad.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  36.8 KB

Plot
    Bad Boys
    One hundred million dollars’ worth of confiscated drugs has been jacked from police custody. Once the career bust of Detectives Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett, the missing drugs now threaten to shut down the Narcotics Division of the Miami Police Department. When the drug investigation turns deadly, the murderers kidnap the only witness, a beautiful police informant and close friend of the boys.

Bad Boys II
    The action and comedy never stop when superstars Martin Lawrence and Will Smith reunite as out-of-control, trash-talking buddy cops. Bullets fly, cars crash and laughs explode as they pursue a whacked-out drug lord from the streets of Miami to the barrios of Cuba. But the real fireworks result when Lawrence discovers that playboy Smith is secretly romancing his sex sister.

My Thoughts
    Having watched these movies on Blu-ray just a couple of years ago, I knew what to expect going in and I set my expectations low. I really like the chemistry between the two stars, but the direction by Bay is mediocre and the editing is even worse. At times, both moves are somewhat incoherent with the never-ending action sequences and the runtime is just too long, especially the second film which clocks in at 2.5 hours!

And it isn’t just the length of the second film that’s the problem. The first has some scenes that drag out too long and the use of the slo-mo camera is so overused, it’s almost laughable—in fact, Pegg and Wright made fun of it in the much more entertaining Hot Fuzz. Complaints aside, there are some moments that really stand out, namely the chemistry between Smith and Lawrence, which rivals any “buddy cop” duo in cinema. While not bad films, per se, they could be a lot better if they were edited down to about an hour and forty-five minutes or so—the pacing would be brisk and they would have been much more entertaining that way.

Bad Boys
    Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Bad Boys II
    Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Bad Boys Special Features:

• Audio Commentary with Director Michael Bay
    • Putting the Boom and Band in the Bad Boys Documentary
    • Four Music Videos
    • Original Theatrical Trailers
    • UV Digital Copy

Bad Boys II Special Features:

• Deleted Scenes
    • On-Set Production Diaries
    • Explosive Scene Breakdowns
    • Jay Z Music Video
    • Stunts, Visual Effects Featurettes
    • Original Theatrical Trailers
    • UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    A couple of years isn’t long enough between seeing these films again because the flaws are just too obvious when the memory of the film is still somewhat fresh in the mind. Sadly, he does know how to make a great film (Thirteen Hours), but that isn’t the case here. Yes, they look good and the stunt scenes are well choreographed and shot—there’s just too many of them and it becomes boring. If you’re a fan of the films, the look and sound great on UHD, especially Bad Boys II, but I beg there isn’t another format for these to be released on for at least the next 15 years because I honestly don’t want to watch them again!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Totally agree with your assessment of the films.

The 2nd one has a scene that sticks in my mind (and I've only seen it once)- the Bad Boys are having a shootout in a house, and the "bad guys" are on the other side of the wall, and the camera spins around from the one side to the other while going right through the walls in a 360 degree fashion (in shots obviously stitched together and not just one long take).

The first couple swooping, whooshing 360's were cool, both technically and within the film to ramp up the tension and excitement of the scene, but then it... kept...going...over and over...so...many...times...so many 360's...

that I went numb and just wished it would stop.

That is a good summary of his films overall I think.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.