Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  JW.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  29.4 KB

Plot
    Owen (Pratt) and Claire (Howard) return to Isla Nublar three years after the destruction of the Jurassic World theme park to rescue any remaining dinosaurs on the island from a catastrophic volcano that threatens to leave dinosaurs extinct once again. Owen is driven to save his lead raptor, Blue, while Claire makes it her mission to preserve the creatures that she has grown to deeply respect. When the lava begins to rain down, they soon discover terrifying new breeds of ferocious dinosaurs along with a conspiracy that could threaten the entire world. Joined by co-stars James Cromwell (Babe, The Green Mile) as wealthy entrepreneur Benjamin Lockwood, Dr. John Hammond’s partner in creating Jurassic Park, as well as Justice Smith (The Get Down) and Daniella Pineda (The Detour) as Franklin Webb and Zia Rodriguez, members of Claire’s Dinosaur Protection Group; this brilliant cast brings an extraordinary story to life as chaos erupts when Owen, Claire, and their team discover a most deadly endgame that could bring the planet back to prehistoric times.

My Thoughts
    I enjoyed Jurassic World enough to want to the see the sequel, although the tepid reviews had me wait for the home video release versus venturing out to the theater. Turns out the reviews were mostly right. There’s absolutely no substance to this movie. In fact, one could argue the majority of the characters don’t even matter and the entire spectacle is just to show us as many dinosaurs as possible in a little over two hours.

Yes, Pratt and Howard do a decent job with the material given to them, but the villain is transparent as hell and Justin Smith and Daniella Pineda’s characters are just there as plot devices to make the movie longer than it should be. In fact, this may be the weakest entry into the five-film franchise, which is saying something when you stack it up against Jurassic Park III—but hey, at least it looks and sounds amazing on UHD!

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 10/10 (DTS:X)

Special Features:

• The Kingdom Evolves
    • Return to Hawaii
    • Island Action
    • Aboard the Arcadia
    • Start the Bidding!
    • On Set with Chris & Bryce
    • Birth of the Indoraptor
    • Death by Dino
    • Monster in a Mansion
    • Rooftop Showdown
    • Malcom’s Return
    • VFX Evolved
    • Fallen Kingdom: The Conversation
    • As Song for Kingdom
    • Chris Pratt’s Jurassic Journals
    • Jurassic Then and Now
    • UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Even with low expectations this one failed to please the family. The story is rather weak and if it weren’t for the stellar special effects and thunderous DTS:X presentation, I probably would have fallen asleep or worse, shut it off. I just found it to be uninteresting and uninspiring, neither of which is good for a tentpole production. Give it a rental if you’re interested but other than some demo scenes there isn’t much to get excited about.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Great review David! I watched the movie at the theaters with my son and thought that it had its moments but overall dull. My son liked the dinosaurs and some of the one-liners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for chiming in Chris. Dull is a good way to describe it. At no time did I think any of the main characters have a chance to perish.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    stellar special effects and thunderous DTS:X presentation
    Now you have my attention. I'll give it a rent but it looks like it won't be sitting on my shelf.

Thanks, David.

This sounds like it's going to be great for my new speaker configuration. I'll probably just buy it assuming Best Buy has it on a sale price on release day (we might have already pre-ordered it actually). I have the other movies including the recent blu-ray box set for the first 3 so might as well.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast