Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Jjj, I think you are right. They had so much success with the Marvel movies putting out several year. I guess they thought they could do the same for Star Wars.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

There's not as much to draw on in the Star Wars universe as there is in Marvel. It has certainly lost the magic it once had on me as a kid.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    There's not as much to draw on in the Star Wars universe as there is in Marvel. It has certainly lost the magic it once had on me as a kid.
    Maybe the A-Team is working on Marvel leaving the second string to work on Star Wars.

If we make it, they will buy.
    ^^^unnamed Disney bean counter

You know, I think that Disney overestimated the real value of Star Wars.

They bought a 45 year old property, who at the time, had three big movies that appealed to another generation. Then we got three TERRIBLE prequels that in the long run took a lot of people out of the series. They were just horrible and I don;t think they brought in a new generation of viewers. it repelled them.

When the Force Awakened, it brought in 2 billion dollars because every one who grew up with it wanted to see the three stars again. There was a major curiosity factor. But the next part of the trilogy took in a bit more than half the amount of money, showing "sequel fatigue." (I don't care about the money, it means that half the amount of people went to see it.)

Rouge one took in about a billion, again less than half of the Force Awakens but still great, but diminishing returns. And Solo took in a third of that and lost money.

When you look at the Marvel movies, each one in a series did better than the previous one. (Avengers 1, 2 and 3; Iron Man 1, 2 and 3).

I'm guessing but the Marvel movies have been different. The Black Panther was not like Dr. Strange. Thor was different from Captain America. These were seperate movies. These new Star Wars is using the same characters, or the same plot and setting, all the darn time.

Frankly, I thought at most they were watchable, but nothing special.

This is ironic, but you might want to know that Star Wars did help save Marvel. But the end of the 1970s Marvel was in deep financial trouble. They hadn't had a new big hit in years. They then got Star Wars!!!!!!! And did well with it.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Such a shame to hear about the sound on this. Guess I'll find out for myself soon. It apparently shipped yesterday from Best Buy already so I might have it ahead of the supposed official release date next week. I've read some various theories on AVS Forum about why the sound on so many recent Disney releases blows. There's been everything from they just don't care, to "it sucked in the theaters too, they're doing it cause previous movies the theaters complained the soundtracks blew out their systems", all the way to "they're mixing them for cheap consumers who are just using built in TV speakers or junk soundbars and won't know the difference".
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

I actually think they are enabling DRC (Dynamic Range Control) and don't even realize it.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Well, my wife just told me our Best Buy order of the 4K disc just got delivered so I guess I'll see for myself soon. Wow that's like 4 days early I'm surprised. They didn't ship Deadpool 2 until the day it was supposed to be released.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

The next sequel

Name:  FFF78327-AAFB-4B05-BBAD-79888EE6681F.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  13.0 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    You know, I think that Disney overestimated the real value of Star Wars.

They bought a 45 year old property, who at the time, had three big movies that appealed to another generation. Then we got three TERRIBLE prequels that in the long run took a lot of people out of the series. They were just horrible and I don;t think they brought in a new generation of viewers. it repelled them.

When the Force Awakened, it brought in 2 billion dollars because every one who grew up with it wanted to see the three stars again. There was a major curiosity factor. But the next part of the trilogy took in a bit more than half the amount of money, showing "sequel fatigue." (I don't care about the money, it means that half the amount of people went to see it.)

Rouge one took in about a billion, again less than half of the Force Awakens but still great, but diminishing returns. And Solo took in a third of that and lost money.

When you look at the Marvel movies, each one in a series did better than the previous one. (Avengers 1, 2 and 3; Iron Man 1, 2 and 3).

I'm guessing but the Marvel movies have been different. The Black Panther was not like Dr. Strange. Thor was different from Captain America. These were seperate movies. These new Star Wars is using the same characters, or the same plot and setting, all the darn time.

Frankly, I thought at most they were watchable, but nothing special.

This is ironic, but you might want to know that Star Wars did help save Marvel. But the end of the 1970s Marvel was in deep financial trouble. They hadn't had a new big hit in years. They then got Star Wars!!!!!!! And did well with it.
    Comparing Star Wars to Marvel is comparing apples to oranges. so i will not do it. Just kidding, of course im going to do it.

Marvel in this current MCU has put out 20 movies. 20!!!! In 10 years. Phase 1 Iron Man and CA: First Avenger i would consider good or better. Out of 6. Phase 2 CA: Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy were good or better. Out of 6 more. Phase 3, out of 7 films made (only one i havent seen is Wasp) only Doctor Strange and Ragnarok are good or better. This phase also included the biggest hype machine of all time, Black Panther, yawn. So, to me, only 6 of the 18 films i have seen i would consider good or better. tell me im wrong. Infinity War, if it wasnt for one scene with Thor and the scenes with the Guardians, it would have been in Age of Ultron territory. the most compelling film making in any of these has been in the Captain America movies and they messed up the third by making it Avengers 2.5.

Lucasfilm/Disney has put out 4 movies in 4 years. Ironically the one i like least is The Force Awakens. Fun, but holds no special place. Rogue One was WAY different than the other Star Wars films and any of the other trilogy/sequel/prequel films out there. EVERYONE dies. literally. And its a gorgeous film. My favorite of the 4. The Last Jedi took a hard left turn and made people freak out. Johnson changed the Star Wars universe from being about the Skywalkers and Solo's with one fateful toss of the lightsaber. Anyone can be a Jedi. Novel concept i guess. they dont have to come from Star Wars royalty. Secondly he has Luke do the most Jedi thing ever done by a Jedi in any of the films, helps save people and the rebellion in a completely non violent way, and got creamed. so this argument that all these films are the same is well, wrong. Last Jedi is my second favorite of the 4, and moving up fast after every viewing. Solo was fun. I think if they would have picked bright and colorful fun as opposed to dark and dingy fun it might have done better, but it doesnt make it any less good to me. After Episode IX they are going to slow down. Which is fine. I hope they keep Johnson's new trilogy in the plans.

the money films make do not tell u if the film is good or not. never has, never will. plenty of trash makes money. see the fast and furious and purge franchises for examples.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    Luke do the most Jedi thing ever done by a Jedi in any of the films, helps save people and the rebellion in a completely non violent way, and got creamed.
    This is quite possibly the coolest thing that has happened in the past few films. Loved it.