Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    You know, I think that Disney overestimated the real value of Star Wars...
    Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    There's not as much to draw on in the Star Wars universe as there is in Marvel. It has certainly lost the magic it once had on me as a kid.
    Funny though, in that I would wager there are more hardcore Star Wars fans as Marvel fans, and TONS of non-movie Star Wars content. (Besides toys of course, there's cartoons, novels and video games, some 'canon', some not.)

Yet everyone is sick of Star Wars. What happened to this limitlessness galaxy far, far away?

Turns out it wasn't the galaxy people loved, or the lightsabers, or Jedi or any of that.

It was the characters, fueled by the charisma of some damn charismatic actors. With Luke, Han, and Leia now gone, og fans have lost interest. Who we got left? Kylo Ren is cool, and, and, Rey is OK I guess, and, and... that chrome Stromtrooper maybe. Nah. (She's already dead anyway.)

And the worst part is that these new, far less interesting characters, are basically just re-playing the original trilogy. The Last Jedi wasn't as obvious as The Force Awakens, but it was very, very similar in a lot of places, and general themes.

Now then, imagine if someone had said to you "Would you like to see those great Star Wars movies again, only without the three people (and actors that portrayed them) that made them so great?"
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I also don't like that Disney completely killed the Expanded Universe, which was actually better than the damn original trilogy. Read The Thrawn Trilogy and tell me that isn't the best Star Wars you've ever experienced.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I also don't like that Disney completely killed the Expanded Universe, which was actually better than the damn original trilogy. Read The Thrawn Trilogy and tell me that isn't the best Star Wars you've ever experienced.
    I've never read any of the EU stuff, but I played the Knights of the Old Republic game (which I'm told was based on EU books) and it was great. No characters from the originals, all new people and places. A great, movie-quality story. And Disney killed it, in favor of rehashing the OT.

Disney was not playing the long game with the Star Wars property and now it's biting them in the ass. Short-term they made lots of money, but I have a feeling the hundreds of millions they spent on Star Wars Land (or whatever its called) will not have a great ROI in years to come.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    I've never read any of the EU stuff, but I played the Knights of the Old Republic game (which I'm told was based on EU books) and it was great. No characters from the originals, all new people and places. A great, movie-quality story. And Disney killed it, in favor of rehashing the OT.

Disney was not playing the long game with the Star Wars property and now it's biting them in the ass. Short-term they made lots of money, but I have a feeling the hundreds of millions they spent on Star Wars Land (or whatever its called) will not have a great ROI in years to come.
    They could still easily create tons of stuff based on the old republic era though since that was set like 10,000 years before the OT.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post

The Thrawn Trilogy is amazing! I enjoyed seeing Thrawn in the Rebels animated series.

The Old Republic videos they created were fantastic. U could definitely create something from those and build upon it. They are on YouTube i think, just great stuff.

Here are the videos:

Good video. Now, this is what they should be doing in the theaters.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Very good.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Seriously. That looks great. Too bad Disney doesn't see the value in trying something like that live-action. Not yet, at least.

So, we finally got around to putting this in and watching it tonight. We actually really enjoyed it. However I was watching the 4K disc for the Atmos track and while I've never had a problem with the conversion process before playing it on my plasma, I thought the film seemed really dark so by the time they got to the ship after the train scene I changed the conversion level to 1 which made it noticeably brighter overall. I even thought the opening credits were "off" with what seemed a dim blue for the text vs. the usual bright cyan of the other movies. Then I popped in the blu-ray disc after for comparison. Turns out there was nothing off with the conversion from 4K HDR to 1080p SDR it's just the movie. I mean some of the scenes before I changed the conversion level were so dark I had a hard time really seeing anything and the whole movie seemed like that so I had thought something was off. I didn't think the sound was as bad as I'd heard though but I did have the volume about 3dB higher than normal on the dial.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K