Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If it's not the cable, that error message sounds like maybe the player is outputting a frame rate that the TV can't properly process.

For instance, many of the early 1080p LCDs had issues or could not display 1080p/24fps video.

Out it's outputting PAL. If you can hook it to a different TV, that may allow you to get into the setup menu.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Out it's outputting PAL. If you can hook it to a different TV, that may allow you to get into the setup menu.
    How in the world would that have happened? Makes perfect sense though.

Wait, I thought he said he could play DVDs.

If David is right, really if I am too, you may be able to turn on the player and press X on the player for 10 seconds or so to reset the video output to 480i and hopefully NTSC.

Tracy,
    I did try another HDMI. No luck.
    And, the Sony manual said to push and hold the STOP button for 10 seconds or longer. NO luck. When you said press X, is that what you meant?
    I did get one DVD movie to play, but only the audio part.
    And now that you mention it, the TV I have been trying this on (not the original "new" Sharp that the Blu-ray was originally hooked up to) is an early LCD. Not so sure if it's even 1080p. I'll check tonight.

David, I do have two other TV's I can try it on. Let you know what results are.

Guys, I have a few stupid questions. Sorry.
    PAL means.... ??
    NTSC means...??

Quote Originally Posted by vincentanthony View Post
    Tracy,
    I did try another HDMI. No luck.
    And, the Sony manual said to push and hold the STOP button for 10 seconds or longer. NO luck. When you said press X, is that what you meant?
    I looked up the manual online and it said the X button on the player. Maybe I looked at the wrong model.

PAL and NTSC are two different ways in which the video is encoded. NTSC is the system we use here in the USA and Japan and it is based on 60Hz 30 frames per second. PAL is used in other countries like many in Europe, the UK, parts of Africia...and is 50Hz 25 frames per second.

The two are not compatible without an external decoder. So PAL wouldn't be able to be displayed on an NTSC TV. Some players can be set to output either but are usually locked at the factory, for sale in a specific country.

If you could try composite video (480i) to the TV it might let you see the menus.

Tracy,
    Thank you for all the explanations. I'm pretty sure I did try composite, but will confirm again.
    Thanks.

Tracy,
    I tried composite video to the TV from Blu-ray, and still no luck. No picture. No menu. But sound still comes through loud and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentanthony View Post
    Tracy,
    I tried composite video to the TV from Blu-ray, and still no luck. No picture. No menu. But sound still comes through loud and clear.
    I'm out of suggestions other than buy a new player, sorry. At this point, unless it's a high-end player like the Oppo, Cambridge Audio.....they are pretty much disposable.

New players are cheap and a lot faster than they have ever been.