Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sony Blu-ray BDP-S1000ES

Hi.
    New to the group. Want some opinions about my Blu-ray player. Please.
    Love the player cause it has a big suite of outputs. I have an two older A/V receivers, a Marantz and a Sony, and this player gives me plenty to choose from for outputs. Problem is, it does not always play Blu-ray disc. It's hit and miss. Software and Firmware is up to date. Just took it to a local shop and had it checked out. They couldn't get it to work either and said the HDMI is not working.
    Took it home and tried all the other outputs. Now almost nothing. I did get one DVD to play (video & audio). Then got another DVD to play, but only the audio would work. NO VIDEO.
    Can't for the life of me get Blu-ray disc to play.
    Sony site does speak to the problem. Can be the Parental Control setting. But now I can't even get the menu to appear on TV screen.
    Any thoughts?
    There is another local shop that I can take to. Wanting your opinions if I should attempt to repair. ??? Worth it?
    Thanks,
    Vince.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    This is a fairly early player. Assuming that the HDMI board in the player isn't defective, it could be a handshake issue where the player and display aren't passing the proper HDCP, aka copy protection issue. If this is the case, sometimes turning the player on first, then the TV or the opposite might work.

Since you say that your AVRs are older, I assume they don't have HDMI and you are connecting directly to the TV. Can you connect to the TV using component or composite video and double-check your video settings on the player? Some early players had an option to choose the primary video output.

As for are getting it repaired, I wouldn't. Even if you don't update the AVR to one that has HDMI, you can simply get a new 1080p player for nearly nothing. Even the new 4K players aren't that expensive these days unless you are looking for an upper-end universal player like the discontinued Oppo players.

You can run the HDMI directly to the TV and use Toslink or coax to your AVR for audio.

Oh..........and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the welcome. Great site !
    First off, I'll take your advise and try turning on the equipment in that fashion to see if that clears it up. That's what I'm hoping for.....a simple "handshake issue". I just can't wrap my head around this problem that this thing will not work anymore. Jeez....my Sony VCR from 1997 still works ! LOL. And no lines during a pause. LOL.
    1. No, both AVR do not have HDMI. But I'm most likely going to be using the Marantz for movie watching, and that system has a Marantz Digital Processor (DP870). It has Optical and Coaxial inputs. So Blu-ray will be going into that first.
    2. Yes, I can go straight to the TV, via composite, component, S-video, and HDMI. And I did try all of them. Nothing worked when inserting a Blu-ray disc. I can't check the settings on the player because nothing will show up on the TV.
    3. Just to clarify, the Marantz receiver (SR870) has only composite and S-video inputs....hence the use of the digital processor.
    4. FYI....Spoke to the local shop here and they charge $40 to look at.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I too hope that it is a simple HDCP issue.

However, Blu-ray players use a different laser to read Blu-ray than the one used for DVD and CD. It is possible that there is an issue with that laser. Either way, I wouldn't put any money into a repair.

I bet the $40 is a fee to evaluate your player and many shops credit that money towards the total repair cost. I bet the cost to replace the laser assembly would be surprising and not worth it. Maybe ask them what the cost would be if they had to replace it before you have them look at it. That way you will be prepared.

Yep, I forgot also.....I put in a CD and that didn't work either.
    The $40 is a fee to eval and will credit towards repair cost. I'll ask them upfront like you said.
    Thanks for all the input !

Do you have a Costco or Sams Club near by? They have some very inexpensive 4k blu ray players to choose from. (Also new rxs, Sony, Yahaha, etc)
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by vincentanthony View Post
    Yep, I forgot also.....I put in a CD and that didn't work either.
    The $40 is a fee to eval and will credit towards repair cost. I'll ask them upfront like you said.
    Thanks for all the input !
    Throw it in the recycling bin and go buy a new player. If you don't need a 4K player, you can get a regular Blu-ray player for UNDER $40 either from Amazon or possibly at Costco.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

JR,
    Yes I do. LOL. But I don't like buying my AV equipment from the big box stores. I can buy a new Blu-ray player from the shop that originally diagnosed it. Actually already spoke to him about it. It's a full blown audio/video store, small business owner. Much rather pay him, than the big box stores.

Other side of the story is that I'm the type of guy that fixes everything till it's absolutely dead. LOL. It's in my genes. I just like the challenge, that's all.

And, I'm fairly confident that it just "might" be a small problem with settings in the BD player. I just really want to be sure before tossing this unit out. What I forgot to post on my original posting is the error message that shows up on the TV when using the HDMI hookup. It says the following........
    "An incompatible video signal has been received. Check the output device settings"
    So I'm thinking it might, could, possibly, be a minor fix. LOL.

If that error messages jogs anyones memory, please advise !

Quote Originally Posted by vincentanthony View Post
    What I forgot to post on my original posting is the error message that shows up on the TV when using the HDMI hookup. It says the following........
    "An incompatible video signal has been received. Check the output device settings"
    So I'm thinking it might, could, possibly, be a minor fix. LOL.

If that error messages jogs anyones memory, please advise !
    What display is it connected to?
    Can you try a different HDMI cable?