Thread: Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

February 14, 2019
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Barry, any historical insight in regards to this marvel movie Dark phoenix? Jean Grey??
    Last edited by TrippleJ; 09-27-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Eh, it's hard to get invested in this seemingly never-ending iteration of X-Men. They've messed around with the timeline so much it feels like there's no stakes at all anymore.

And, while Barry would know better, I thought if Dark Phoenix used her powers without being able to control them, it would like, end the world. And given that it was her first time using them in Apocalypse it seems like that should have already happened. Hell, it almost happened in part 3, and that Jean Grey was mature and experienced and at least sorta knew what she was capable of.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I should have answered this earlier. Brandon is right. The X-Men was originally cancelled for several years and they brought it back with an international group. This was because marvel was becoming international I needed such. One of the most popular storylines which took place at the end of the 1970s was the dark Phoenix saga. And as Brandon Pointed out that was much of the plot of the third X-Men movie where Jean Gray’s powers became so great so became destructive.

In real life this becomes complicated. You see as the dark Phoenix she killed people. The original writer wanted to return her to normal and have her continue. But the Comics Code, the censors Would not allow this so they had to kill off a popular charactors

But death is never fatal in comics. Jean is brought back Because they had a premise that an alien had taken over mind or something. But she was selling Comics and they were going to bring her back!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I should Mention that they are re-using this plot, which they used 10 years ago in X Men 3. But in the new movie Venom, they are using the plot from Spider-Man 3.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons why I stopped reading comics in 1978. They keep reusing the same plots. And nothing was prominent, they keep bringing back dead people.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 10-04-2018 at 09:48 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Thanks for the insight Barry. I guess they don't make anything original anymore, just rehash the old stuff with new folks..
    Main:

Jjj,

You are absolutely right. look at so many of the new TV shows, We are all retreads of old ones
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I was gonna quote Barry, but then JJJ said the same thing, then Barry expounded a bit, all referring to "Everything is a retread"

It's true, of course. One of the first things I learned in screenwriting class was that there are really only 7 stories, told over and over.

But this is OK, because people don't live forever. It's totally fine to tell the same story over and over, as it will always be 'new' to somebody. The problem is that today we have 1,807924324 ways to get entertainment instantly. We can watch every movie ever made without even getting off the couch. In other words,

we're now very aware that these stories are retold endlessly, because we have access to all of them. And, perhaps even worse, access to all the discussions people have about them (like this one!), making us even more aware.

When someone says "I've never seen anything like that before!" all it really means is "I haven't seen everything else that came before!"

So the complaint of everything being a "retread, remake, rehash, redo, etc." is sort of silly to me, because there is nothing new to tell. Sure, we can take Macbeth and make a contemporary version that takes place in an office building, but it's still the same story.

To me, it's all about two things: 1. the presentation and 2. the cultural significance at the time.

We've watched the same basic superhero story played out literally dozens of times in films recently and probably thousands of time across comics as a whole. That's OK.

Iron Man was not a new story, a new idea, or a new concept. But it was well-presented, owing a large debt to RDJ's charisma, and it hit on lots of cultural touchpoints. Everyone loved it.

The new movie is the same as the old movie. Which is fine.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.