Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Beatles (White Album) Anniversary Releases

The Beatles "White Album" turns 50. Here's a glimpse of what's included with the anniversary releases.

Anyone buying?

I'm hoping for a 96/24 dl of all contents, but not holding my breath at this point.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

You have to ask yourself how much better The White Album can get. I don't think it was meant to be a super high-resolution album.

I've read that the original CD was about as good as it gets but I haven't read anything about the digital download and I haven't ever seen stats on the original vinyl.

On my system, as long as its not brickwalled, & it's an equivalent master, all 24 bit sounds better than 16 bit. Keep in mind I no longer have a turntable.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

A.S. is going to have the new Lennon Imagine as a download tomorrow. Don't know if it's the entire package, & don't know if the other usual culprits will be carrying it or not. We should know as afar as HDT & PSM go late tonight. That & the delayed Pepper's dl release is likely good news for me on this one (White Album) & hopefully the latest Bowie box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    You have to ask yourself how much better The White Album can get. I don't think it was meant to be a super high-resolution album.

I've read that the original CD was about as good as it gets but I haven't read anything about the digital download and I haven't ever seen stats on the original vinyl.
    Could you expand on this? Do you mean it doesn't get "better" when you hear it in a higher resolution because the "messiness" (or something due to poor sound reproduction, like vinyl) was counted on and factored in when recording? Or something else?

I do agree that some music doesn't really benefit from super hi res files, but The Beatles stuff has lots going on (once they got out of their boy band phase anyway) so it *should* I think.

When thinking of stuff like this, (the *ideal* way to hear music) I think of Deep Purple. Good god, every record sounds like it was recorded in a swimming pool with a blanket over it. Muddy, mushy, almost subterranean sounding.

But that was their sound, and pretty sure it was intentional. Never heard high res Deep Purple and/or Deep Purple that's been eq'd to sound more pristine. But I'm guessing lots of the magic would be lost.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon, I would have to go back and do some digging to confirm. I remember reading an interview with George Martin and the statement that I am going to make was supported in later interviews with his son and Paul McCartney.

Back when The Beatles were recording, they were using a 4-Track recorder. As "the lads" moved out of their "boy band phase" they really started to experiment with a lot of different things and not just good weed. They used new instruments and used new ways of layering sound and vocals. All this required a lot more than 4 tracks so they had to eventually dump the first three recorded channels down to the fourth and on and on. Think about how many tracks would be required on most of the songs found on The White Album or Sgt. Pepper's for that matter.

As the tracks get re-recorded to make room for new tracks, you loose sonic resolution from the very start. So my point, which I may not have made very clear is, I'm not sure how much better the album could possibly sound given all it went through.

I have both the Mobile Fidelity and the newest re-issue of Sgt. Pepper's and there's not much difference in actual resolution. The reissue sounds slightly less cluttered if that makes sense but it's not night and day to my ears. I do not have an original pressing to compare them to.

Well, here it is. A video explaining the differences in the 2 LP, 4 LP, and CD versions. This is not going to bode well for my wallet.

Thanks Tracy-

I remember Brian May in an interview saying "By the time we got done with overdubs, you could practically see through the tape."

Easy to forget the limitations these old bands had. Now of course we can make 1:1 digital copies of everything. Back then they had to get creative-
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Creative and I would imagine a lot of live mixing to tape in order to reserve more tracks for overdubs and additional instruments.

Most people forget or don't know that Lennon double-tracked a lot of his vocals.