Hook (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  hook.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  30.6 KB

Plot
    A high-flying adventure from the magic of Steven Spielberg, HOOK stars Robin Williams as a grown-up Peter Pan and Dustin Hoffman as the infamous Captain Hook. Joining the fun is Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell, Bob Hoskins as the pirate Smee, and Maggie Smith as Granny Wendy Darling, who must convince middle-aged lawyer Peter Banning that he was once the legendary Peter Pan. And so the adventure begins anew, with Peter off to Neverland to save his two children from Captain Hook. Along the way, he rediscovers the power of imagination, friendship, and of magic. A classic tale updated for children of all ages, HOOK was nominated for five Academy Awards® including Best Visual Effects in 1991.

My Thoughts
    I hadn’t sat down to watch this film since its theatrical run in 1991, even though I bought the Blu-ray out of the Walmart bargain bin a few years back but never cracked open the case! When I heard the film was headed to UHD, I decided to wait a bit longer to watch it since I wanted to see it with the best picture and sound available and I have to say it was worth the wait.

The film received poor reviews during its theatrical run, but I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot my second time through. Robin Williams is great in the lead role and the story’s message is a good one—pay attention to the present because time passes quickly, and you don’t want to miss out on the little things that life has to offer.

The presentation itself is simply marvelous, especially the new 4K transfer that offers HDR and WCG. Colors burst off the screen the detail is amazing, especially in clothing and facial textures. Sure, there’s the occasional soft shot or two, but the film has never looked better.

Sony has also remastered the track into Dolby Atmos and it features a surprising amount of overhead and atmospheric effects that help draw you into the film—especially when you visit Neverland.

Video 9.5/10 (MVC)

Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• 11 Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Blu-ray +UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Despite it’s mediocre reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed returning to this movie after so many years. It’s entertaining and features fabulous set design and costumes, both of which shine in the 4K presentation. Recommended for fans.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I believe Gwyneth Paltrow has her screen debut here as young Wendy.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the movie. I saw it in the theatre and later at home. Robin Williams would seem perfect as the boy who never grows up...until he does. But the storyline is bland. Julia Roberts is always wonderful, but she is so isolated in this movie that she doesn't interact much with the rest of the cast...or story. I wasn't quite bored, but I did not find the story compelling.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry, you are correct on Gwyneth Paltrow and her first role. As for the film, I wouldn't disagree with your criticism but I was able to look past that and enjoy the movie for what it was....mindless entertainment with fabulous sets, costumes, and cinematography. Sure, at times it feels forced, but if you look over at Rotten Tomatoes, audiences gave it a 76% while critics gave it 28%. Don't be so critical
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I with the critics.

But, honestly, I will forever miss Robin Williams.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc