Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot (Blu-ray) review

Name:  dont worry.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  26.4 KB

Plot
    John Callahan (Joaquin Phoenix) has a lust for life, a talent for off-color jokes, and a drinking problem. When an all-night bender ends in a catastrophic car accident, the last thing he intends to do is give up drinking. But when he reluctantly enters treatment — with encouragement from his girlfriend (Rooney Mara) and a charismatic sponsor (Jonah Hill) — Callahan discovers a gift for drawing edgy, irreverent newspaper cartoons that develop an international following and grant him a new lease on life. Based on a true story, this poignant, insightful, and often funny drama about the healing power of art is adapted from Callahan’s autobiography.

My Thoughts
    I soon discovered after sitting down to watch this that it’s a pretty heavy drama and you better be in the right mood for it. Unfortunately, I wasn’t. Wow, it can be very depressing watching as the protagonist, John Callahan, battles his alcoholism. My wife grew up with an alcoholic father and the subject matter hit way too close to home for her and she didn’t enjoy it at all. She watches movies to escape the world around us, not dive head first into the deep end.

The performances are quite good, especially Phoenix, but I didn’t care for the way the story was told by director Gus Van Sant. It jumps back and forth to different points in the past and Phoenix doesn’t really change the way he looks so it’s hard to tell what’s modern or something that’s previously happened. In this way, the story can get confusing. There are moments where the story is funny though, which is a good thing since it breaks the tension.

Video 4/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Inside the Accident
    • Inside the Hospital
    • UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    If you’re a fan of Phoenix, then definitely give this one a look realizing that it’s a serious story about Callahan’s life. The performances are excellent but don’t expect to escape from the real world—the story is about how bad decisions can have life altering effects.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I didn't request this one as it didn't look appealing. Glad I didn't miss out.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews