Ant-Man and the Wasp (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  ant-man and wasp.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  30.3 KB

Plot
    Scott Lang is grappling with the consequences of his choices, as both the Super Hero Ant-Man and a father, in the aftermath of Captain America: Civil War. As he struggles to rebalance his home life with his responsibilities as Ant-Man, heís confronted by Hope van Dyne and Dr. Hank Pym with an urgent new mission to rescue Janet van Dyne from the Quantum Realm. Scott must once again put on the suit and learn to fight alongside The Wasp, all while attempting to serve house arrest, assist fast talking-Luis (Michael PeŮa) and the X-con Security crew, and thwart the efforts of a new adversary called Ghost (Hannah John-Kamen) and her ally Bill Foster (Laurence Fishburne).

My Thoughts
    I had skipped the original Ant-Man in theaters and caught it at home on Blu-ray and really liked it a lot. In fact, it went towards the top of my favorite Marvell films list. So, when this sequel hit theaters this summer, I saw it opening weekend and unfortunately, I was let down. With some trepidation, I sat down to watch the 4K UHD and didnít expect much but found myself wildly entertained and I ended up liking it a lot more than the first time around.

One reason is that having a familiarity with the story certainly helps since the pacing on this movie is brisk. In fact, the first scene is full of action and doesnít stop until literally the end of the credits (stick around until the end because there are two Easter Eggs that run). The story was much easier to follow the second time around and I could enjoy the humor a lot more.

Disneyís track record on UHD has been spotty, at best, but Iím happy to report that there are no audio issues on this disc. It still requires an increase of about 3dB, but the dynamic range isnít compressed at all and youíre treated to a full-bodied Dolby Atmos track. Hopefully they found the Gremlin that was messing with their audio tracks and the dark days are behind us.

The 4K UHD transfer is very good, but not great. The cinematographic process included a use of various cameras including 3.4K, along with 6K and 8K visual effects, but these were downcoverted into a 2K DI, which is quite disappointing. Why isnít Disney doing what Sony does and give us true 4K transfers on UHD? Regardless, the detail is excellent. My only gripe is the color palette is a tad restrained and flat, especially flesh tones. It does liven up when the story ventures into the subatomic world.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features (on Blu-ray Disc):

• Directorís Intro by Peyton Reed
    • 6 ďMaking-ofĒ Featurettes
    • Gag Reel & Outtakes
    • 2 Deleted Scenes
    • 10 Years of Marvel Studios: The Art of Marvel Cinematic Universe (Digital Exclusive)
    • Online Close-Up Magic University (Digital Exclusive)
    • Blu-ray +Movies Anywhere Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I canít say thereís been any Marvell movie that hasnít been entertaining and Iíve liked all of them. I was lukewarm to this the first time but found a second viewing to be much better and Iím glad to have it in 4K. This certainly isnít the last time weíll see the Ant-man and the Wasp together on screen together, and I look forward to their return at some point in the future. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

My review is here. I basically gree with David.

http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/...t=Ant-man+wasp
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    My review is here. I basically gree with David.

http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/...t=Ant-man+wasp

We agree most of the time Barry...you're just wrong about "The Lone Ranger."
    David Vaughn

David,

We joke about this all the time and it always makes me smile. But honest to gosh, I just came from a site where this happened, people who disagree fight and get nasty on line. And they fight and insult each other over the most trivial and insignificant items. I always respect your opinions when It comes to movies, And you save me a lot of time and money. You have also introduced me to movies that I never would have watched! But I love on this site that I feel free to agree or disagree with someone and so long as I explain myself there is never any problem.

20 years ago I never would have posted the above when I just wrote, I would’ve taken it for granted, but the world has changed. And not for the better.

Well, hi ho Silver!
    Last edited by Lefisc; 10-09-2018 at 02:43 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

David Vaughn

Greetings,

Nice review Dave and I agree.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Thanks for chiming in Ralph.
    David Vaughn

I was also let down on my 1st watch, but I'll give it another go down the line. Just didn't feel much weight to the story, was pretty silly with them carrying the office building around.

And no matter how well its done, it always looks weird to have a giant person in a movie.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post

And no matter how well its done, it always looks weird to have a giant person in a movie.
    So you don’t see any movie with Dwayne Johnson?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    So you don’t see any movie with Dwayne Johnson?
    LOL
    David Vaughn