How Sears made a difference

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/how-the-sears-catalog-revolutionized-african-american-s-1829802142

Thought this was pretty fascinating. It's about Sears role in giving all people (poor and minorities in this case) access to products they otherwise couldn't buy (or didn't want to risk buying) before the civil rights movement kicked in.

Also, check this awesome thing out:

Name:  EXHIBITION OUTFIT.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  98.4 KB

Love the name. "Exhibition Outfit", whatever the hell that means.

(side note: I highly recommend *not* surfing Jezebel, or any Gawker site. Maybe Jalopnik.)
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I don’t know what happened to Sears and how it lost its importance. Its catalog was an essential part of American life and the stopped it in 1995, the year Amazon started. They should have been Amazon! But the service at their stores is now non existance. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been to one of the salesman or too busy watching TV to help you.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I had to get a new fridge sometime back so went to the local sears and eventually got a kenmore elite which is running great but the place was a ghost town. Really, nobody there. As for their TV section, they remodeled it and it was turned into a mattress section. The tv and everything was consolidated and put on one row. One row!
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

It's sad that they are in such disarray as a company. As a kid, their catalogs, particularly the one released for Christmas, were gold at our house.

Even today, we have an extremely scaled-down Sears store here locally. They are mostly lawn gear and appliances. I bought a few things from them over the years but they have scaled down even more, smaller building with less selection since I have been there. I'm not really sure how they are still open at this point except for the owner seems to also be operating an appliance and lawn mower repair business out of the same building.

I suspect the repair business is what is keeping him alive..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.