Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  mamma.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  32.7 KB

Plot
    Both a prequel and a sequel, the film tells two stories: present day as Sophie Sheridan (Seyfried) prepares for the grand reopening of her mother Donna’s (Streep) hotel and 1979 when young Donna (James) first arrives on the island. Sophie learns about her mother’s exciting, fun-filled adventures with the young Dynamos, Tanya (Jessica Keenan-Wynn) and Rosie (Alexa Davies), and how young Donna first met her three possible dads Harry (Hugh Skinner), Bill (Josh Dylan) and Sam (Jeremy Irvine) all those years ago.

My Thoughts
    Mama Mia! started as a stage production in 1999 and became a worldwide sensation. Nine years later a screen adaptation was done, and it grossed over $600 million worldwide ticket sales. Most thought a sequel would be in the making, but it took ten long years to make it happen, but it was definitely worth the wait. In fact, this is a superior film in virtually every way.

I had a few complaints with the first film. First, the actors were too old for the roles they were portraying— especially Streep. Furthermore, none of the main cast members could sing very well. Fortunately, that’s fixed here where all of the younger versions of the characters can sing and dance and it makes this an extremely fun movie. Granted, it’s not based on any sort of reality, but that doesn’t take away from the experience one bit. Lily James is cast as the young Donna and not only is she cute as can be, she can sing extremely well.

In addition to the excellent entertainment value, the UHD presentation is off the charts. In fact, the use of WCG is on full display from the first scene and the video quality is to die for from beginning to end. The Atmos track is no slouch, although the overhead effects are sparsely used other than some score bleed and one helicopter flyover.

Video 10/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features: (1080p on UHD Disc)

• Sing-a-Long version of the film
    • Deleted/Extended Songs and Scenes with Commentator by Director/Screenplay writer Ol Paker
      • Extended Song Performance – The Name of The Game
      • Extended Song Performance – Knowing Me, Knowing You

• Enhanced Sing-Alongs
      • One of Us
      • S.O.S.
      • Why Did it Have To Be Me
      • I Have a Dream
      • Kisses of Fire
      • Knowing Me, Knowing You
      • Angel Eyes
      • My Love, My Life

• Cast Meets Cast
      • Tanya Meets Tanya
      • Rosie Meets Rosie

• Cast Chats
      • Dynamo Chit-Chat
      • Dad Chat

• High Jinks
    • Sophie’s Story
    • Choreographing Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
    • Dancing Queen: Anatomy of a Scene
    • Performing for Legends
    • Class of ‘79
    • Blu-ray +UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I may have to turn in my man card, but this is one of the best movie experiences I’ve had this year. The opening song had me wondering if I was going to like the film but once I got into the spirit I had a blast. I really like how the producers fixed the errors of the first film by hiring cast members that are mostly unknown (except for Lily James), but could actually carry a tune. If you didn’t care for the first film for the reasons I’ve highlighted, don’t skip this one because it surpasses it in every way. The writing and acting are all top notch, and the performances from the young group of actors is outstanding. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 10-27-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Greetings,

Excellent review Dave! I had fun with this one in the theater after being reluctantly dragged to see it by Michelle. I am sitting down with the UHD shortly. Looking forward to it.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Let me know what you think.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine