Women and Police in movies

There were two things I thought of during the last Ant-Man movie, one good and one bad.

First, movies have gotten away from only having 20 year old women play acting and adventure roles. Evangeline Lilly was just wonderful and easy on the eyes, but she was not 20 years old. Neither are any of the other leads in these movies, including Wonder woman at DC. (The Scarlett Witch, a supporting character is younger but then again so is Spider-Man.) This is really a welcome change. She is the same age as Paul Rudd. In the past they wouldn’t hesitate to hire an older actor, but give him a 20 year old romantic interest. Robert Downy was in his 40s when he first did Iron Man and Gwyneth Paltrow, in the same age class, was cast as his girlfriend. This is all good.

I saw Ant Man again last night and had one problem with it. I am sick and tired of the police being the bad guys. It started in the 12960s, with show like Mannix, where ever episode the police are after him for his methods and all he did was solve 30 crimes a year. Here the FBI were not only incompetent, but they never seemed as acting in the public interest. They always were intrusive, cruel and destructive. They searched Ant Man house six or seven times in two days? The FBI was using criminals and murderers as informants not to solve a crime, but to “get” Ant-Man. In other words, the let criminals get away with terrible things, just to catch Paul Rudd out of his house. This has got to stop. Super-Heroes, in this fantasy world, are used to solve problems that police cannot. But even in the non super hero’s world, it would be nice to see law enforcement doing things right and not picking on the good guys.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I have liked Evangeline Lilly since her role of Kate on the television series Lost. I'm not sure what she did before or after Lost, but it's good to see her working on another big project.

Barry, did you know Paul Rudd was 49? Lilly is 39. Though it does look like they are the same age. And regardless it's definitely unusual to have an actress that age play a role like this. Good to see Hollywood being a bit more realistic in their casting decisions.

Though personally I didn't like Lilly in the role, it had nothing to do with her age. Some people just don't fit the superhero look/vibe. Like seeing Michael Douglass in the full-on Ant-Man suit, he looked pretty silly-
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I thought Rudd was younger. But a ten year difference in Hollywood is an approvement.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc