New Speakers Buy New or Vintage?

I just did something that I NEVER thought I would do. I sold my main pair of tower speakers. I posted them up for sale and after tons of "Ooos and Ahhhs" and "WOW, I have never seen these for sale, wish I was closer" and my favorite, "Will you ship these to (insert European country)?" I watched as the new owner happily drove off. Maybe I priced them too low ?!!?

Why? I don't really have a good answer except it was time for a change but I am excited about this new search.

A huge part of me wants to grab a pair of Sandy Gross's GoldenEar Tritons or Eric's Tekton Double Impacts. These two are certainly affordable, highly rated, and provide a ton of performance and value. Another part wants something like Focal or Revel for not only performance but the pure eye candy factor.

Yet another part of me looks back in time to speakers that I have long drooled over that are no longer in production.

The JBL 250Ti's come to mind when it comes to vintage and I happen to know a guy that has a pair. I have only ever seen them once and that was in high school. There was a "stereo shop" about 35 miles from where I grew up and a buddy and I dropped in for a visit one Saturday afternoon. They had a pair on display but wouldn't demo them, wouldn't let you get close enough to touch them and most likely didn't want two high school kids even looking in their direction. Is this why I am looking at them now? Is it the rich teak wood finish? Yeah, I love teak.

Name:  JBL 205Ti small.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  25.2 KB

So, what's a guy to do? I see the merits of both new and vintage. New is well......new. They will be covered by a warranty and might just be better designed.

Vintage is possibly less expensive and might need some attention. However, the "bang for the buck" for the right speaker is off the charts.

When it came time to buy speakers, what did you do?

Congrats on selling the old stuff. Always hard to part..

I would get new since I like warranty, etc.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    Congrats on selling the old stuff. Always hard to part..

I would get new since I like warranty, etc.
    That would certainly be a plus on the new side.

But........look at that teak !!!

I can relate. Almost cried as my Apogees drove away. Have to say though the honeymoon is still strong with the GE2s.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    I can relate. Almost cried as my Apogees drove away. Have to say though the honeymoon is still strong with the GE2s.
    JR
    I remember old photos of your room with those Apogees.

The Triton 2+ or Triton 1 are on my short list, for sure. The problem is too many choices and no real way to demo anything in my area.

How are you running your Triton 2s? From reading the literature there are a couple of different ways you can configure them. Are you running one cable to them or using the dedicated LFE connection too?

Congrats on your sale. There were huge discussions over at AudioKarma about vintage verses new .. and some people got down right nasty.

I'm in the new camp because of warranty, parts availability, and known history of use. With vintage, owners may claim that their speakers were treated with silk gloves when in truth, they moonlighted as a bar tender in a strip club or worse, performed as the main event.. Its a risk. I bought a pair of PSB400 (not exactly Vintage but already 20 + years old from a guy who told me they were working well. I auditioned for about 15 minutes but found out later that there are issues with the bass response with the bass sounding one notish and fuzzy. One particular recording brought this out which plays well on my other speakers.
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1900/RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    KX-800U/KX-630
    BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/400/Alphas,Center:PSB Image 8C/100C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5/Energy XL-S8

Buying used anything does carry a risk. The speakers that I just sold needed some help when I bought them but I knew that going in.

The main issue with any older speaker is finding original cone material for the drivers. That and possibly tweeter issues if they are of an unusual design which most are not.

Crossover parts rarely go bad with the exception for electrolytic capacitors and replacement are easy to find. Driver surrounds and dust caps are also easy.