The Spy Who Dumped Me (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  spy.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  27.9 KB

Plot
    Audrey (Mila Kunis) and Morgan (Kate McKinnon), two thirty-year-old best friends in Los Angeles, are thrust unexpectedly into an international conspiracy when Audrey’s ex-boyfriend shows up at their apartment with a team of deadly assassins on his trail. Surprising even themselves, the duo jump into action, on the run throughout Europe from assassins and a suspicious-but-charming British agent, as they hatch a plan to save the world.

My Thoughts
    I had extremely low expectations going into this one but have become of fan of Sam Heughan from his work on Outlander and thought I’d give it a try. Surprisingly, it isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, it’s quite entertaining in stretches, although the editing could have cut a good 15-20 minutes from the film to tighten up the story. I’m generally not a big fan of McKinnon’s work—I find her somewhat annoying—but she does a great job here as the sidekick and delivers some of the funniest lines of the film.

The UHD presentation is strong, especially with the shots of various European cities. Furthermore, the Dolby Atmos track has some moments to shine with some explosions and gunshots, although the overhead use is somewhat sparse.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Covert Operations: The Making of The Spy Who Dumped Me
    • Gary Powell: The King of Action”
    • Makin’ Friends with Hasan Minhaj
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Outtakes
    • Off Script
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    While not a great film by any stretch, it isn’t that bad either as long as you go in with low expectations. The fight sequences are well choreographed, and the characters are mostly likable. I’m not sure of the replay value on this one, so I’d rent it first before committing to a purchase.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

As you mentioned in another thread and I agree, I bet we'll be seeing this one on HBO soon. I'll be looking for it around the holidays when they offer a free preview weekend.

Thanks for the review, David.