Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Beatles (White Album) 5.1 Blu-ray Review

The 50th Anniversary of one of Rock's most iconic albums, The Beatles "White Album", is quickly approaching. There will be multiple releases to celebrate including a boxed set that includes, among other goodies, a Blu-ray disc with a 96/24 5.1 presentation of the re-mixed album.

Rather than post spoilers of Mark Smotroff's review..........

https://audiophilereview.com/audioph...yLfrHL1WwcKBvE

I really want the 5.1 Blu-ray and vinyl. Man, this is going to get pricey.

Have the Beatles ever released anything that wasn't pricy?
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

The cd version of the 2018 remix of the main album is a DR9.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    The cd version of the 2018 remix of the main album is a DR9.

The only 2018 listing on the DR database right now is DR 12. There's no note for exactly which version but it says 96/24 sample rate.

I suppose we will see some more entries over the next few days.

I will be reporting the 96/24 rate soon. Note I only checked the remix of the main album (not the new material) for that DR9. I've played about 1/4 of the 2 cd's; the remixes aren't as subtle as some have reported on some songs imo. Not sure how I feel about that, other than it would be nice to get the ORIGINAL catalog done in 192/24 with no brick walling & be done with it!

While this is based on an OLD memory, the best Beatles I remember ever hearing was the 80's Japan vinyl Blue Box (black vinyl). I also remember blowing up a tweeter with the jet airplane at the beginning of USSR, lol!
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 11-08-2018 at 08:59 PM.

96/24:

Remix of Original Album DR 10
    All "bonus tracks" (Demos/Out Takes) DR 11
    Entire package DR 11

Now off to listen to the 96/24 on my main system.

Off topic, but I'm getting Hendrix EL Friday. I really hope .... that it's not brickwalled. I haven't heard word 1 about a download so I bought the physical, though I'm very disappointed that the blu-ray doesn't include the alt versions.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 11-08-2018 at 08:08 PM.

I have the early 90's CD version of The White Album. If I am reading the DR database ratings correctly, it's DR 11.

I'm really hoping that the 96/24 is at least that.

I personally did the measurements above from the 2.0 SDE. I saw the DR 12 you mentioned on Dr Loudness. 4 possibilities:

1. The "2 disc" 96/24 has a different master
    2. There have been some crappy sounding "captures" of LOSSY 24 bit Tidal streams showing up on the net lately. They could very possibly have a different (not necessarily higher though) DR.
    3. All my files are 2.0. The DR 12 could have come from a rip from the blu-ray. 5.1 almost always has better DR #'s (due to technical reasons that are over my head!)
    4. ????

I also own the 2009 48/24 Official Beatles catalog edition USB Drive. Talking only about the original album (& the 2018 remix of the original), this 2018 is the best digital version of the White album so far. Unfortunately, that isn't saying a lot. It's got pretty decent depth, but the upper mid range & low treble leans brittle on my system. The 2009 doesn't have nearly the depth (possibly due to having only 50% of the sampling rate); though it is slightly less brittle.

For those who only want the original album my advice is stick with legacy Japanese vinyl if possible.

A lot of folks (including me) will likely find at least some of the out takes of interest.

It is frustrating, I have never heard 24 bit Beatles (what I would call) "done right".

The best SOUNDING digital Beatles I have ever heard is that silly Love mash up on DVD-A. & that is sad imo.

I'm guessing unless APO does a licensing deal for SACD; my hearing will be shot from old age before we get truly quality sounding Beatles in digital.

McCartney has done uncompressed 24 bit versions of a few of his solo albums (as has Tom Petty); the uncompressed 24 bit McCartney 1 is pretty decent.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 11-08-2018 at 11:29 PM.

I thought that reading your impressions of the album would help me decide which version I wanted. Well, I was wrong.

My initial thought was the 2 or 4 LP versions. Hopefully they will get posted in the next few days.

As for the McCartney solo albums you are talking about, particularly his first one, who has the uncompressed version that you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I thought that reading your impressions of the album would help me decide which version I wanted. Well, I was wrong.

My initial thought was the 2 or 4 LP versions. Hopefully they will get posted in the next few days.

As for the McCartney solo albums you are talking about, particularly his first one, who has the uncompressed version that you are talking about?
    HDT:

http://www.hdtracks.com/mccartney-hi...imited-version
    They also have a similar McCartney 2

Last thoughts on the White album SDE:

I've played 3/4 of it. The rehearsals & outtakes are by far the best sounding parts of the set; but the music is mostly meh. Like the Anthologies, I'll play the entire thing & likely never play it again. The regular album is as I mentioned the opposite. Very brittle, & at least half of it is great music.

Sorry I can't help on the vinyl or 5.1. Again, my memory is that the Japanese vinyl box from the early-mid 80's destroyed this as far as sound quality goes.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 11-09-2018 at 07:25 PM.