Name:  law.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  23.9 KB

Plot
Clyde Shelton (Gerard Butler) is an upstanding family man whose wife and daughter were brutally murdered during a home invasion. When the killers are caught, Nick Rice (Jamie Foxx), a hotshot, young Philadelphia prosecutor, is assigned to the case. Against his will, Nick is forced to offer one of the suspects a light sentence in exchange for testifying against his accomplice. Fast forward ten years. The man who got away with murder is found dead and Clyde Shelton coolly admits his guilt. Then he issues a warning to Nick: Either fix the flawed justice system, or key players in the trial will die. Soon Shelton follows through on his threats, orchestrating, from his jail cell, a string of spectacularly diabolical assassinations that can be neither predicted nor prevented. Nick finds himself in a desperate race against time facing a deadly adversary who always seems to be one step ahead.

My Thoughts
Revenge is a dish best served cold and that’s certainly the case in this thriller. My only grip about the film itself is that it’s too gory at times, which takes away from the film, in my opinion. I wish more filmmakers would go the route of Hitchcock and keep the details out of the way of the camera and let the audience use their imagination. Despite this, I really liked this movie and even on a second viewing found it compelling and it kept me on the edge of my seat. Both Butler and Foxx are at the top of their game.

As much as I was looking forward to watching this in 4K, I found it to be somewhat of a letdown. Other than some minute detail improvements, it looks very similar to the Blu-ray in the color grading and I couldn’t think of one example of HDR effects coming into play. It does support Dolby Vision, so maybe that treatment is better than the HDR10 that I watched. I am happy that Lionsgate included an Atmos track, but the remix doesn’t make great use of the overhead speakers, but maybe the source material wasn’t conducive for creating an enthralling mix.

Video 7/10 (MVC)

Audio 8/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• The Justice of Law Abiding Citizen
  • The Law in Black and White: Behind the Scenes
  • Preliminary Arguments: The Visual Effects of Law Abiding Citizen (5 featurettes)
  • The Verdict: Winning Trailer Mash-Up
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Audio Commentary
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Although the story is a bit far-fetched, it doesn’t take away from the tension and it really makes you think of what you would do if faced with this horrific situation. I’m sure I’d want my pound of flesh! Unfortunately, the presentation on UHD isn’t anything to write home about, but if you can find it on sale it may be worth having for the upgraded audio track.