The Matrix Trilogy (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  matrix.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  30.8 KB

Plot
    Thomas Anderson leads a double life. During the day, he is a computer drone for a big corporation; by night, he’s Neo, hacker extraordinaire. Morpheus opens Neo’s eyes to the real world, a vast wasteland where most of humanity has been enslaved by machines that use our bodies as a power source. To reclaim the Earth, Neo much reenter The Matrix in order to overthrow the machines and discover his true destiny in life.

My Thoughts
    The Matrix was a massive theatrical hit in 1999 and is widely considered the movie that helped launch DVD into the mainstream when it sold over 1 million copies in its first week on store shelves. Unlike its release on Blu-ray, which was only available in a boxed set, Warner released the first film earlier this year and did a superb job with both the video restoration and the remixed Atmos track. In fact, it was perfect in every way.

With a few months under its belt, now the boxed set is available and while the newly minded 4K restoration doesn’t look quite as good as the original film, they look damn good compared to the legacy Blu-rays. Like the original’s 4K restoration, the color palette is a lot more neutral now and the skin tones don’t make everyone look so sickly and green. The real world is depicted with a blue hue and the data world in its traditional green. Furthermore, the detail is excellent due to the true 4K master that was created from the original 35mm prints.

The audio tracks are all Dolby Atmos, and yes, the lobby scene in The Matrix is still one of the best demo scenes to show off your system. What I love about the two follow-ups is the bass tracks, which are to die for.

The Matrix
    Video 10/10 (MVC)

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

The Matrix Reloaded
    Video 9.5/10 (MVC)

The Matrix Revolutions
    Video 9.5/10 (MVC)

Special Features:

The Matrix

• Written Introduction by The Wachowskis
    • “Philosopher” Commentary by Dr. Cornel West and Ken Wilbur
    • “Critics” Commentary by Todd McCarthy, John Powers and David Thomson
    • “Cast & Crew” Commentary by Carrie-Anne Moss, Zach Staenberg and John Gaeta
    • “Composer” Commentary by Don Davis with Music Only Track
    • The Matrix Revisited
    • Follow the White Rabbit
    • Take the Red Pill
    • Marilyn Manson “Rock is Dead” Music Video
    • Teaser Trailer
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • TV Spots
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

The Matrix Reloaded

• In-Movie Experience – Cast and creative team guide you through a unique infiltration of the filmmaking
    • Written Introduction by The Wachowskis (Blu-ray)
    • Behind The Matrix
    • Car Chase
    • Teahouse Fight
    • Unplugged
    • I’ll Handle Them
    • The Exiles
    • Enter The Matrix: The Game
    • Enter The Matrix
    • P.O.D Sleeping Awake Music Video
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • TV Spots
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

The Matrix Revolutions

• In-Movie Experience – Cast and creators navigate you through the Trilogy’s thunderous conclusion – all as you watch the movie (Blu-ray)
    • Written Introduction by The Wachowskis
    • Behind The Matrix
    • Crew
    • Hel
    • New Blue World
    • Siege
    • Aftermath
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • TV Spots
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    While the sequels don’t come close to living up to the original—one could say the Wachowskis’ didn’t realize how big of hit they’d created and I’m not sure they knew where to take the story. Reloaded was fine, but when Revolutions hit theaters six months later it left a lot of fans with a sour taste in their mouth (I know I had one). As time as gone on, the films have grown on me a bit and realized how much worse it could have been given the filmmaker’s other projects over the past 15 years. Regardless, if you’re a fan this is the best the films have ever looked or sounded and are worth the upgrade, especially if you can find it on sale. Recommended for fans.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I will wait until a used copy goes for twenty bucks.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Is The Matrix trying to catch up with T2 on total number of releases?

Man I think I'm gonna have to upgrade due to my Atmos upgrade and for future 4K use. I have the blu-ray pack already but eh it's only $$$ lol.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Man I think I'm gonna have to upgrade due to my Atmos upgrade and for future 4K use. I have the blu-ray pack already but eh it's only $$$ lol.
    Exactly...we can't take it with us.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Exactly...we can't take it with us.
    But you can be buried or cremated with it.