Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HTR's 4K/Ultra HD TV Buyer's Guide

If 2018 the year that you make the leap to a 4K Ultra HD display, then you may want to check out Andrew Robinson's latest review. Here, Andrew lists his top picks for this year's new crop of displays in the LED/LCD, OLED, and Quantum Dot categories.

What I really like about this review is that the list is not solely super high-priced 75"+ displays. Many, including the top picked VIZIO - 65" Class - LED - P Series Quantum - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR are priced at a modest $2000.

Give Andrew's review a read and see if any of his picks are coming to your home this holiday season. https://hometheaterreview.com/hometh...-buyers-guide/

Interesting, well now I know what Quantum Dot is, and now I'm not sure what to replace my VT60 plasma with. I was going to do OLED but maybe the Quantum Dot thing would be a cheaper and usable choice. I need to look at reviews for out of box color accuracy/etc. though I guess cause I may not be able to get a cal very quickly after buying. I still haven't had my VT60 done but the THX Cinema mode on that was supposed to be very accurate out of the box.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

It's nice to have options that will meet or exceed Plasma's performance, all while using less energy, producing less heat, and being higher resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    It's nice to have options that will meet or exceed Plasma's performance, all while using less energy, producing less heat, and being higher resolution.
    Yeah, I know OLED will do it and LCD won't or at least I've heard local dimming still has some issues and of course viewing angles, but I don't know about the quantum dot stuff as far as those things. One thing on my checklist this time is image retention issues. I've heard OLED can still have some issues in that area though I'm not sure how it compares to plasma. If the quantum stuff is close to OLED without the IR problems I might do it just because of that.

I haven't had any really big problems with it on my plasma but I'm also always being really careful so it would be nice not to have to worry about it any more. I always had heard that CRTRPTV's could get it but I never had issues with mine even with a good chunk of various XBox gaming on it. I haven't done any of that since going to the plasma (I played 95% of stuff on a PC anyway and it got more use as a Netflix box than anything else)
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

I want to look at the Vizio at some point, but my local Costco and Sams don't carry it. cpaluda, do you know if its on display anywhere in Sacramento?
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I want to look at the Vizio at some point, but my local Costco and Sams don't carry it. cpaluda, do you know if its on display anywhere in Sacramento?
    I don't know honestly I'm not seriously looking right now it's just on the horizon (so I'll probably end up with a 2019 model). I didn't even thing about where Vizio might actually be sold. Are they only places like Costco? That could be dangerous with the Costco visa thing lol. The link in the article was to Amazon of course.

Best Buy carries Vizio's P Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Best Buy carries Vizio's P Series.
    Yeah I just saw that, another link in that article went to BB instead of Amazon. Unfortunately their site is not telling me if it's on display or not at my local store so I'll just have to stop by after work one day (it's conveniently on the way to/from work every day).

Best honest review of the current TV scene. I am currently watching a calibrated 65" P-Series Vizio. It comes very close to the OLED's, after calibration. For $3k less when I purchased, it was a "No Brainer".
    hifigramps

How are the viewing angles? From what I'm reading they still have LCD viewing angles and the off-axis issues.