Superman: The Movie (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  superman.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  35.9 KB

Plot
    Academy Award winners Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman head an all-star cast in the fantastic, action-packed film that made Christopher Reeve an international star playing the greatest superhero of all time. From the doomed planet of Krypton, two parents launch a spaceship carrying their infant son to earth. Here he grows up to become Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for the Metropolis Daily Planet. But with powers and abilities far beyond those of ordinary men, he battles for truth and justice as Superman.

My Thoughts
    This movie will always have a soft spot in my heart since its release in 1978. It was the “guilt movie” that my dad took me and my sister to after informing us that he and our Mom were splitting up. Granted, that was probably for the best since they argued like a couple of lawyers over a pretrial motion, but it still hurt.

As a film, this one definitely stands the test of time. Sure, it’s a little slow by today’s standards, but the slow burn really works to unravel the story as it assumes you know nothing about the Man of Steel and gives you a fresh look at the iconic character. One reason why the film works so well is the casting, which is perfect. In my mind, there’s no other Superman than Christopher Reeve and Margo Kidder as Lois Lane. Throw in Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor and you have the perfect combination to make a classic.

The treatment on UHD is quite good, especially given the source material. The first act looks a bit rough mainly due to the way the film was shot. Frankly, these sequences have hardly ever looked good on any format. There are times when it truly shines though with jaw-dropping detail, such as Luthor’s subway hideout and the newsroom at the Daily Planet.

Video issues aside, the reason to double-dip (or triple-dip) on this title is the Atmos soundtrack, which will give you chills—especially during the opening title sequence. It helps that this is arguably my favorite John Williams soundtrack so maybe I’m biased, but it has never sounded so good and the added dimension of the overhead speakers really help it encompass the room.

Video 8.5/10 (MVC)

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Commentary by Pierre Spengler and Ilya Salkind (UHD & Blu-ray))
    • The Making of Superman: The Movie 1978 TV Special (Blu-ray)
    • Superman and the Mole-Men
    • Cartoons
    • TV Spots and Trailers
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    If you’re a fan of this film and are 4K capable, this is the only way to watch it mainly due to the new soundtrack. If you don’t have Atmos installed, I’m not sure that’s a ton of benefit to the upgrade since there are no new supplements. Recommended for fans.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Love this movie and Superman II, the Donner efition. I w ill get 8t on Tuesday, thanks again Dave.

PS CR mafe the gest Man of Steel.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Might have to pick this up, I don't have any of the old Superman movies on any format except maybe on VHS in a box in my garage but I haven't looked in that box in like 10 years.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Funny, I watched Superman III this weekend. It's not as good as I and II of course, but still lots of fun. Yeah the Richard Pryor stuff was unnecessary, but you gotta love the Supes vs. Clark Kent fight in the junkyard.

EDIT: I watched III, not II
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 11-06-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.