Name:  blackklans.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  26.7 KB

Plot
In the early 1970s Ron Stallworth (Washington) becomes the first African-American detective in the Colorado Springs Police Department. Determined to make a difference, he bravely sets out on a dangerous mission: infiltrate and expose the Ku Klux Klan. He recruits a seasoned colleague, Flip Zimmerman (Driver), into the undercover investigation. Together, they team up to take down the extremist organization aiming to garner mainstream appeal.

My Thoughts
All hate groups should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law when they violate it whether they’re skin color is white, black, blue or green. Members of the KKK are radical racists, just like members of the New Black Panther party. No race is any better than another and when we evaluate people, we should do what Dr. King said, “I have a dream that my four little children will lone day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but the content of their character.” This is how I live my life from the time I was a kid until now—society should be color blind.

That being said, going into this film I wasn’t sure what to expect coming from Spike Lee, who is a very good filmmaker, but is a racist in my opinion with his views on interracial marriage, among other things. So I watched the film with a critical eye in this regard.

As a story, it’s quite interesting how a black undercover cop was able to infiltrate a local chapter of the KKK in the 1970s. In fact, through his phone conversations he was able to get all the way to the top and speak with David Duke. He ran into a problem though when he was invited to a local meeting—that wouldn’t end well for him, so he enlists the help of another white officer to take his place (who happened to be Jewish). As one would expect, the story is “Hollywoodized” up versus the book that it’s based on, but that’s to be expected. It’s entertainment, not a documentary.

Where I take Umbridge with the story is the ancillary characters, specifically the Klansmen, who are portrayed as being as dumb as a box of rocks—which is really an insult to rocks. I’m sure they weren’t too bright in real life, but he went much too far here. Also, he tries to show sympathy for the Black Student Counsel members, who frankly, are just as racist and closedminded as the Klansmen. Finally, the film tries to hit you over the head with what was going on in the 1970s is directly related to Trump being elected President, which is too much of a leap. Trump is President because a plurality of the American people were sick of the system and not because they are racist. All one has to do is look at his approval numbers in the African American community (up to 40% in some polls) to see that the argument doesn’t hold water.

Video 8/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• A Spoke Lee Joint
  • BlacKkKlansman Extended Trailer Featuring Prince’s “Mary Don’t You Weep”
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
This is not really a film that you’d find yourself sitting through more than once because the subject matter is a bit depressing. Hate is an ugly thing and there’s way too much hate in the USA right now. Sure, our President doesn’t help matters with his “New York” ways, but in his mind he just tells it like it is and people aren’t used to hearing that from a politician. Regardless, if you’re interested in the film it may be worth a rental, but beware of the blatant racism coming from both directions.