Incredibles 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  incredibles2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  46.6 KB

Plot
    In “Incredibles 2,” Helen (voice of Holly Hunter) is called on to lead a campaign to bring Supers back, while Bob (voice of Craig T. Nelson) navigates the day-to-day heroics of “normal” life at home with Violet (voice of Sarah Vowell), Dash (voice of Huck Milner) and baby Jack-Jack—whose super powers are about to be discovered. Their mission is derailed, however, when a new villain emerges with a brilliant and dangerous plot that threatens everything. But the Parrs don’t shy away from a challenge, especially with Frozone (voice of Samuel L. Jackson) by their side. That’s what makes this family so Incredible.

My Thoughts
    The first Incredibles is one of my favorite Pixar films and is something I can watch over and over again and not get bored. I went to the theater with extremely high expectations to see the sequel and they were mostly met, although it didn’t measure up to the first. Watching it again at home on UHD has changed my mind a little bit—I found it much funnier and entertaining the second time through (and Jack-Jack steals the show).

Like most Pixar movies. The treatment on UHD (and Blu-ray) is spectacular with a plethora of bonus features to keep you—and the kids—occupied for hours. Check out the list below to see how far the delve into the production.

I’d love to sit here and rave about the UHD video quality, which is quite good, but it isn’t a big leap up from the 1080p Blu-ray. This has been pretty common with animated titles on UHD since they look so damn impressive on Blu-ray. Mainly it’s due to their original 2K rendering and its upscaled to 4K. Sure, the color palette is a bid deeper and bolder on the UHD, but unless you do a side-by-side comparison, you probably won’t notice.

The audio track is pretty impressive, although I did have to turn it up about 5dB over my normal listening level (which is better than the 10dB from some other Disney titles). Once volume adjusted, the Dolby Atmos track is quite enjoyable with some good use of overhead effects coupled with some foundation-shaking bass response. While it doesn’t quite meet the experience of the original film from an audio perspective, it come pretty damn close.

Video 8/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
    Digital Exclusives:

• The Coolest Guy in Show Business – In this partially illustrated documentary, Samuel L. Jackson reflects how his childhood and love of comics shaped his passion for film and imaginative storytelling.

• 2 SuperScene Breakdowns – Casual commentary-style pieces looking at specific scenes in the film (The Racoon Fight and Mrs. Incredible) through a particular creative focus like action choreography, set design or story.

Blu-ray & Digital:

• All-New “Auntie Edna” Mini-Movie - When Bob Parr visits super-suit designer Edna Mode looking for help with his high-energy toddler Jack-Jack, Edna pulls an all-nighter designing a suit to harness the baby’s seemingly limitless powers.
    • 10 Deleted Scenes With Introductions - Suburban Escape, Kari Revisited, Return of the Supers, Chewed Out, Late Audition, Slow Day, Frozone and Honey, Restaurant Robbery, Fashion Show and Security Breakdown.
    • Super Stuff - From buildings and vehicles to costumes and props, every action movie requires a lot of really cool stuff. Meet the makers and learn what it takes to design and build such a uniquely incredible world.
    • Heroes & Villains – A collection of mini-docs about the backstory and major design ideas behind the “Incredibles 2” characters — featuring voice actors, director Brad Bird, and Pixar artists talking about the many elements that make these characters feel real.
    • Ralph Eggleston: Production Designer - This short piece explores the many ways a single production designer has influenced the look, feel and character of the Pixar universe, culminating in “Incredibles 2.”
    • Strong Coffee: A Lesson in Animation with Brad Bird - Brad Bird’s passion for animation dates back to his childhood and mentorship under Disney’s Milt Kahl, and that enthusiasm and powerful insight emanates from every film he’s made. Take a deep dive into Brad’s early years at Disney Animation Studios and his time at Pixar.
    • Paths to Pixar: Everyday Heroes - At its heart, “Incredibles 2” is about family dynamics and the challenges of being a working parent. Meet the parents of Pixar as they discuss their personal connections to the film and their experience with stretching to balance work and family.
    • SuperBaby – A documentary/hip hop music video hybrid hosted by Frankie and Paige from Disney Channel’s Bizaardvark. This piece explores how Jack-Jack came to life onscreen — from design to special effects to animation — all set to a hot beat.
    • Commentary – Get inside commentary from animators Alan Barillaro (supervising animator), Tony Fucile (supervising animator, story artist and character designer), Dave Mullins (supervising animator) and Bret Parker (animation second unit and crowds supervisor).
    • Theatrical Short: “Bao” - An aging Chinese mom suffering from empty nest syndrome gets another chance at motherhood when one of her dumplings springs to life as a lively, giggly dumpling boy.
    • Making “Bao” - Director Domee Shi shares her secret recipe for making an animated short — discussing how her rich cultural heritage, unique relationship with her mom, and her love of food all informed the making of the food-fantasy “Bao.”
    • Outtakes & Stories - Raccoon Fight Story, Evelyn Animation Outtakes, Puppet Animator Interview, Outtakes Goofy Arms Story and SuperBaby Music Video.
    • Character Theme Songs, Vintage Toy Commercial TV Spots , Toolkit Montage and Global “Incredibles 2” Trailers
    • Blu-ray+ Movies Anywhere Digital Copy

Jack-Jack & Racoon

Show Me Your Powers

Conclusion
    I posted a bonus clip of one of the funniest scenes in the movie along with a bonus clip that’s in the special features. If you’re a fan of the first film, this is an easy recommendation for you given the entertainment value it provides. As to whether the UHD premium is worth it, that depends on if you have a 4K display and an Atmos setup—if you don’t have the audio, then just grab the Blu-ray and save a few bucks.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. Enjoyed the first one and will get this one.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I absolutely loved the first film so this one is an easy buy for me. Thanks, David.

David, is there a good 4k aminated film to show off on a 4k,projector?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry, they all pretty much look great, but not head and shoulders better than they look on Blu-ray. Most are rendered in 2K due to computing power required (although it's perfect 2K ), so they get upconverted to 4K for their UHD release.
    David Vaughn

I would go so far as to say that The Incredibles looks pretty darn good on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I would go so far as to say that The Incredibles looks pretty darn good on DVD.
    Exactly
    David Vaughn

i am going to have to re watch this like u did Dave. i went into the theater way too pumped for it. the movie had no chance to live up to the first in that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    David, is there a good 4k aminated film to show off on a 4k,projector?
    Barry, there is an animated short on Netflix called Cosmos Laundromat: First Cycle. If u have the 4K plan, its worth the 12 minute watch. the detail and colors, especially at the end are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    i am going to have to re watch this like u did Dave. i went into the theater way too pumped for it. the movie had no chance to live up to the first in that condition.

Barry, there is an animated short on Netflix called Cosmos Laundromat: First Cycle. If u have the 4K plan, its worth the 12 minute watch. the detail and colors, especially at the end are wonderful.
    I'll have to check that out as well.
    David Vaughn