Warning: The New Hendrix Electric Ladyland Is A DR8 & Is Said To Sound Awful

A friend posted on another board that the sound quality of both the blu-ray & the cd's is really bad. Dr Loudness shows the blu as DR8. I am debating whether to open mine or to keep it sealed & sell it.

I'm a bit surprised as the last few Hendrix remasters & outtakes cd's were the best sounding since the old Warner RE-1 cd's.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

I hope your friend is wrong.

I bought the set, fortunately I haven't opened it.

I have heard someone else's cd's (not the blu, but it's got the same DR as cd #1 per Dr Loudness.)

IMO, the main album is LOUD; REALLY LOUD. The concert is an official boot & is really really bad (cassette possibly several gens down with EXTREME analog clipping). The out takes & demos (cd #2) sounds great (like the recent Beatles). I am bummed; the last few EH releases were decent sounding. This may explain the delays on the APO SACD's (Axis finally came out last month). Eddie Kramer is mastering the APO's & he did this abomination. There just may have been a bunch of disagreements between APO & Kramer.........

If anyone wishes to buy mine, it's still sealed. I have around $46.25 into it. Please make an offer!
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 11-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

I opened the box & played the blu-ray last night.

From a strictly sound quality perspective the 5.1 downmixed to 2.0 sounds excellent (it is the only new master of the original album on the box).

Unfortunately for those of us with 2.0, the downmix sounds like a totally different take of the album. For this price, it would not have killed EH to have done a quality 2.0 remaster.

As it is, I don't understand how the 2010 2.0 16 bit master was transferred in 24 bit. I can't imagine they would have made an analog master in 2010 with the compression added. So in 2010 they either they did a (terrible) archival 24 bit master, or it was a 16 bit master that was upsampled for the 2.0 portion of the blu-ray.

The documentary was also transferred at dvd 480 bit rate. Apparently, they wanted to save a few more pennies on this over priced set by using the smallest blu-ray media possible.

Amazon reviewers of the 5.1 mix have mixed opinions on the mix (not the sound quality): some like it, some say it sounds very different than the original album even in 5.1

My musical disappointment of the year.