Oppo Blu-ray Upgrades?

OK, so now that Oppo has stopped making THE BEST Blu-ray player on the planet you have to ask yourself, "How much better can it get"?

For those of you that want to take your player to the next level, check out Oppomod.com. The site offers several easily installed upgraded power supplies, a weighted BD-ROM driver stabilizer, and other goodies for the UDP 203 and 205 and even some mods for older players.

The one that looks the most interesting to me is the linear power supply.

Name:  oppomod power supply.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  31.0 KB

We all know that we need a good, stable supply of power for all of our gear. Oppomod's power supply upgrades replace the OEM switching power supply with a linear toroidal-based power supply with upgraded capacitors, resistors, and fuse. Will this type of power supply make a difference in the Oppo's performance? User feedback on the site states that audio is more dynamic and less fatiguing while the video is more 3D-like with better color and contrast.

The power supply upgrades range from $280 - $360

The BD-ROM Stabilizer is also an easily DIY installed mod. It comes as a two-piece all CNC machined, aluminum lid and disc stabilizer for your 203, 205, 103D, or 105D's optical drive. The kit is said to enable stable data reading through a more quiet rotation. Although I haven't noticed any vibration from my Oppo, I do notice it from my laptop and previous external DVD-ROM drives. I know that they likely are not the same quality as the stock Oppo drive, but vibration from optical drives is possible and not good for any type of playback.

The drive stabilizer kit is $170.

Name:  oppomod stabilizer.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  25.1 KB

I think these products deserve a proper review. What do you think? Is it snake oil or is there something to it?

There (at least used to be) a guy in Vancouver, Washington state who specialized in Oppo upgrades. I haven't looked at his site lately.

I'd be happy just to find a qualified tech! My 95 is having some intermittent issues with the digital clock on the USB inputs. I've spoken with Oppo. The only option they offer is ship it to them.

As far as upgrades, the only one I ever tried was an aftermarket power cord. I heard a significant difference.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    As far as upgrades, the only one I ever tried was an aftermarket power cord. I heard a significant difference.
    Really, what differences did you notice? I have always been skeptical of replacement power cords but I have never tried one.

Clarity, less grain.

I used to be very skeptical of any difference between any type of cables in general. In the mid 90's, a high end audio store loaned me a pair of entry level $50 analog cables. The difference between them and Radio Shack generics was astounding. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit to what I've spend on cables (mostly top end entry level); it's probably a little under $2k. I also have 3 entry level Adcom Power conditioners.

The biggest difference I've heard is between different digital coax SPDIF cables. I've also found that different cables sound different with different gear; & I'm not talking subtle. Power cords were the last thing I tried (when I got the Oppo). I now also have after market power cables on my power amp & on my standalone DAC.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 11-17-2018 at 02:09 AM.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Being a big Pioneer Fan I have to put up the last 4 units they put out
    Current offerings full UDP;
    Pioneer LX800
    Pioneer LX500 https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...yers/UDP-LX500

Previous models (I think are better as they upconvert)
    Pioneer BDP 88FD
    Pioneer BDP 85FD https://youtu.be/ZfQkL_hRuj4
    Familyroom HT;
    AVR Pioneer Elite SC Lx502
    Blu ray Pioneer Elite 85FD
    Music Pioneer Elite N-50/Logictech Touch
    Display Vizio P series 55" E1
    Pamamax 5300EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone128 View Post
    Being a big Pioneer Fan I have to put up the last 4 units they put out
    Current offerings full UDP;
    Pioneer LX800
    Pioneer LX500 https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...yers/UDP-LX500

Previous models (I think are better as they upconvert)
    Pioneer BDP 88FD
    Pioneer BDP 85FD https://youtu.be/ZfQkL_hRuj4
    I have always liked Pioneer Elite products. They have solid build quality, the latest features, and great cosmetics. They do tend to be a bit pricier than other brands for what you get.

I still use one of their DVD players as a disc spinner (CD, DVD-A, SACD) on my two-channel rig. It has a feature that can be accessed via a front panel button to disable the video circuitry for audio-only playback. It makes me feel like a real audiophile.

I have a region free Pioneer DVD/DVD-a/SACD player (It's currently in a box so the model # isn't handy). It's ok; the sound is miles below my Oppo 95, but it was only $200.