Star Trek Discovery: A Blu Ray Review

Streaming, the final frontier.

I have enjoyed Star Trek, mostly, but I am not a Trekkee and I won’t ask you to Live Long and Prosper. But I have enjoyed, over the years, The Original Series, The Next Gen and Voyager. I also liked the movies of Star Trek 2,3,4,6, and 8. There may be too many hands in this, I counted 17 producers in the opening credits.

Done more elaborately than their TV series of the past, I was interested in seeing the new series. First off, the special effects, makeup, costumes and sets are much more elaborate and sometimes incredible. Which leads to their first mistake. This series is supposed to take place before Kirk and Spock, yet everything is so advanced that it certainly looks like it took place 100 years AFTER the Next Gen. Their technology looks so advanced it looks out of place in time.

Their second mistake in having it take place so early is that instead of giving us new events (“canon” the fans call it) This is not a continuation, this is a complete reboot. The Klingons look and sound very different; Spock’s family is given a new beginning. The Federation was once ships of peace and explorers out to discover “strange new worlds and new civilizations.” Here, they are soldiers on ships of war. And they say so.

Instead of individual episodes with self-contained stories, often showing first encounters with new civilizations, that had beginnings and ends (and a morality play in between) this is one long story, broken into chapters, about a war with the Klingons. This show is so much darker than any other Star Trek. There is no optimism here, no humor and no one I really like, except fopr someone who gets killed off early.

Some of the casting very good, most is not, it is just adequate. You generally liked most of the regulars in the other series, not so here. The storyline is not centered around the Captain and those close to him, but someone of lessor (or no) rank.

I am only 2/3 into it, but I have slowed down because I am not that interested in the next episode. However the bonus features are actually very good and interesting showing how they do the make up and such.

It’s not bad, but it is certainly not Star Trek to me. If I were giving grades it would be a C+.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry,

I gave up on Star Trek TV shows after season 2 of Enterprise. I like the reboot movies though, mainly due to the casting decisions.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

David, this means you got through season ONE of Enterprise. Congratulations. You will not have to spend any time in Purgatory.

That was the worst. Escentally, they new that and got rid of all those people who did that show and Deep Space Nine and Voyager. I didn't like the second of the reboot movies, they just remade Star Trek 2-3.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I agree it wasn't original, but it was entertaining. The third movie was decent.
    David Vaughn

I wanted to mention a couple of things about this. First the deeper I get into it the less I enjoy it.

to my surprise the episodes are short. The Sopranos, on HBO had episodes go from 50 to 75 minutes, whatever was needed to tell the story. I thought streaming we do the same thing! But instead the episodes tend to be 45 minutes. Without commercials the original Star Trek was 52 minutes. The Next Gen was also about 45. So without restraint of commercial TV we are still not getting a longer Star Trek.

By the way, the extra features and there are about three or four
    on each desk are far more interesting than the actual shows. The special effects, makup and sets here are fantastic and this shows how they did it.

One final thing: the sets are almost deserted during most of the production. It looks like it takes only 10 people to run a starship.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    It's called "Star Trek on a budget."

BTW Barry, my son is home from college this week and his first night back he wanted to watch Star Trek: Into Darkness and guess what, both my wife and I liked it a lot more than the first two times we saw it. It's a fun action movie and while not original, it's a hell of a ride.
    David Vaughn