Air Force One (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  airforceone.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  26.1 KB

Plot
    The fate of the nation rests on the courage of one man. Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman star in two-time Oscar® nominee Wolfgang Petersen’s (Best Director & Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, Das Boot, 1981) gripping thriller about an uncompromising U.S. President who has just told the world he will not negotiate with terrorists. When Russian neo-nationalists hijack Air Force One, the world's most secure and extraordinary aircraft, the President is faced with a nearly impossible decision to give in to terrorist demands or sacrifice not only the country's dignity, but the lives of his wife and daughter.

My Thoughts
    This is one of those “guilty pleasure” films for me. Sure, there’s no basis in reality in the story, but I just check my brain at the door and run with it. There’s a ton of action and suspense and Harrison Ford is tailormade for the part as the US President who takes matters into his own hands in order to save his family.

I only owned this film on DVD (remember that format) and never got around to getting it on Blu-ray. Needless to say, the jump in A/V quality is leaps and bounds above what the DVD offered (even though it was a Superbit!). Sony does its usual bang-up job on the video restoration and the new Dolby Atmos encode makes full use of all of the speakers in the room.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • 4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Its nice to see some older action films making there way onto UHD. If you skipped the Blu-ray release like I did, then this one is easy to recommend the upgrade, although if you don’t have a Atmos system or aren’t 4K capable, wait for it to go on sale so you can start building your collection for the eventual upgrade to the latest technology. What are you waiting for?
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Greetings,

Nice review buddy. I agree, this one is guilty pleasure material that has gotten solid treatment from Sony.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Thanks Ralph!
    David Vaughn

David,

i haven’t seen this movie since it first came out, but I remember one thing I like very much about it! In this age of terrorism they didn’t spend very much on how the bad guys took over the plane! They just Had them take it over and then just start the story. I liked that.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 11-20-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Good point Barry...the directing is very tight and the film never drags.
    David Vaughn

Could anyone else have said this line better?

"Get off my plane."

Too bad that the big crash that follows is some of the worst CGI ever, even for the time it's really bad.

But good film overall, love Gary Oldman and Ford is great. I'm a fan of the 'good guy stuck on a plane, in a train, or on a bus or a boat with bad guys' genre.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Ralph!!!! that you? I use to follow your reviews over at AVS
    Familyroom HT;
    AVR Pioneer Elite SC Lx502
    Blu ray Pioneer Elite 85FD
    Music Pioneer Elite N-50/Logictech Touch
    Display Vizio P series 55" E1
    Pamamax 5300EX