Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    There will come a point where the only releases will be newer title, most of which I bet won't interest me.
    Sadly, it already seems to be going that way. That's what I've been complaining about the last few weeks. While I've got a huge h-r collection, my cd collections is even larger & I'd sure like to hear a lot of that music mastered right (sigh). It seems to be moving more & more towards classical, obscure indies, & 44 or 48 instead of 96 & 192.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post

Any opinion on who has the best-sounding Beatles titles regardless of format? I want Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Let it Be.
    The 80's Japan Vinyl box set on Parlophone if you can find it. It looks just like the UK blue box (with an obi), but the Japan mastering & vinyl were much higher quality. Nothing I've heard comes close. One thing I learned from that set that I've never seen as far as digital Beatles go: The entire catalog was very well recorded; which makes the compressed #1 blu ray, & the hr Sgt Pepper & White Album so sad to me. Ironically from a strictly sonic perspective that weird Love mash up dvd is the best sounding digital Beatles I've heard.

If you're feeling wealthy there was an ok (not great) sounding official 44/24 USB drive with the entire catalog on Amazon. It appears to be oop, though. It was around $300 new;

https://www.amazon.com/Beatles-USB/d...ds=Beatles+USB

This may be a Japanese edition; or it may be something entirely different. Amazon's listing is screwy:

https://www.amazon.com/BEATLES-BOX-U...S5AXKCKQNF4M1F

People are listing it at over $600 (it isn't that good). I think they chose 44/24 because it was one of the earliest hi-res file releases, & it fits on an 8 gb flash drive (flash drives were much more expensive 10 years ago, but at $300 I still have a big problem with the choice of 44/24).
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 02-01-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

A.S. finally put up their "new releases"; they have The Ronstadt & the 2 Dead & Co's.+ lots of classical (how many versions of the same classical piece does one need....?).

The only exclusive imo even remotely worth mentioning is a Roland Hanna jazz set in the Storyville/2XDSD series.

It does look like the 2 Phil Collins titles & the Prefab Sprout title are Europe only (at least for this week; the Collins remastered cd's were released in the USA today). I personally don't want either; but some folks might.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Nothing imo worth mentioning on PSM's new listings or Qobuz's new listings coming out Fri-Tues list.

I'll check AS & Onkyo tomorrow.

I am seriously lusting after the UHQR version of The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love on Acoustic Sounds.

I'm not sure I can make myself pay $100 for it. The SACD version is said to be very nice and is around $35.
    https://www.analogplanet.com/content...%E2%80%9D-sacd

I have the APO SACD. It's good, though not quite as good as I expected.

Onkyo has the 5 King Crimson singles for $2.79 - $2.99 ea. Way cheaper than HDT. Nothing else I saw, but they are NOT putting all their new releases in that section; so a lot may be flying under the radar (not real bright marketing...)

7 Digital also only puts a small % of new releases in that section 9sigh). Nothing at all to see there.

A.S. doesn't have their new stuff up yet.

A.S. has there stuff up. Nothing worth mentioning IMO that's either exclusive or significantly lower priced than the other stores.