Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Acoustic Sounds, PSM, 7 Digital, Onkyo (etc) Thread

A.S. has been limiting their permanent sale to 10% for quite awhile. Right now, it's 15% (I don't remember when it ends). Though they may go higher Black Fri or Cyber Mon, if anyone wants their Allman Brothers/Owsley exclusive Deluxe Edition, this may be the time to get it (I bought mine yesterday).

Sale price is also good on physical discs & vinyl.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

A European store I was previously unfamiliar with (Highres Audio.com) has the "2 disc" concert from Marillion Clutching at Straws DE in 96/24.

I'm told it's also out there in MQA (a format I'm beginning to detest due to the false marketing that doesn't tell the purchaser it's lossy)

Hopefully it will hit the USA next week or tomorrow as you'd need a VPN & a European credit card or a European Pay Pal account to buy it.

Oddly, the physical de only has the main album in 24 bit. Everything else is on CD only. (Also the main album is DR9, The concert is DR10 & the demos cd is DR 11. Shame they compressed the main album (their best imo) so much; but Marillion seems to like compressed sound. I love the Fish era; I wish Wilson would have done the 2.0 on Misplaced & all of this. I suspect Wilson's like of compression pissed the band off. He did a 2.0 mix for Misplaced, & the band rejected it.

Also Seems odd to me that the main album which is on br on the DE box (which I ordered but it hasn't arrived yet) isn't out on download while the concert is.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 11-22-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

If you like MQA (I don't) Onkyo has the Marillion title in MQA in the USA.

PSM seems to have the best price on the new Dan Reed Network at $14.39 (still a bit high for 8 songs)

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/23624

What is it that you don't like about MQA? I've heard good things about it, if you have compatible gear.

I have no first-hand experience with it. Just curious.

It's lossy, like a 24 bit mp3.

It also doesn't sound as good as 24 bit LPCM; I've done a few cd/MQA/true 24 bit a/b comparisons & the differences aren't subtle to my ears. Decoded MQA is better than cd in my experience, but only if it's decoded, & it's definitely worse
    to my ears then true 24 bit flac or wav.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 11-24-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Onkyo
    https://www.onkyomusic.com/US/artist...rigins-8505954
    & 7 Digital
    https://us.7digital.com/artist/dan-r...6%2C17%2C9%2C2
    have by far the best price on the new Dan Reed; both are $11.99

Though it's nowhere near as good as their 80's work, I'll likely pick it up at $12.

PSM has what seems to be a USA exclusive on a 24 track Rolling Stones Mono set: "Stray Cats" (192/24, $17.59) Odd collection features mono singles, from Come On - You Can't Always Get What You Want. No idea how the mastering is. The Abcko SACD's were probably the best sounding USA Major label SACD's ever; but i have no idea who's mastering this.

Some Acoustic Sounds titles I didn't see at HDT:

The same Rolling Stones mono set that PSM has at a higher price
    Primus - Miscellaneous Debris 5 tracks 192/24 $10.98 - 10% 96/24 $8.98 - 10%
    Allman Bros Where It All Began 48/24 48/24 $17.98 -10%
    Pat Metheny - What's It All About 96/24 " "
    Pat Metheny, Brad Mehldau, 96/24 " "
    A ton of Johnny Mathis (Entire catalog??)

3 New Hot Tuna Shows & lots of Classical at PSM.