Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oppo 203: Stepping up to 4k

I am embarrassed to admit I forgot!!!
    When I heard that Oppo was stopping the sales of their machines, I bought a Oppo 203 player for my projection room, although the projector was not yet a 4K. I will now be getting a 4K JVC. And the correct 4k wiring.
    I have been getting a great Blu Ray (2k) picture, But now that I am going to a 4K do I have to adjust the settings in the Oppo or is that done automatically in the handshake? I forgot!!!!!!!

A certain friend of mine says David might know the answer to this. (I'll keep Tracy's name out of it!)
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post

A certain friend of mine says David might know the answer to this. (I'll keep Tracy's name out of it!)

Currently being 4K incapable (uncapable? well, not having a 4K source or display), my goto advice would be to set everything to Auto and let HDCP do its job. However, there may be a better way. I seem to remember David have more issues with the HDMI cable he was using.

Did your projector come in finally?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I'd say make sure you have a good cable (Monoprice certified etc) and try Auto and see how it goes. I'm still using a 1080p plasma with my Sony X800 so I've manually set it to 1080p just because, but I recently upgraded all my HDMI to MP's certified 4K 18Gbps cables for my 4K capable devices and receiver to TV so I just have to drop the TV in and I'm set. I haven't had any issues up through 1080p Atmos/DTS:X playback with them. If room is tight though, you might want to look at different brands. The Monoprice cables are pretty thick and stiff even vs the older maybe 10Gbps cables I've had for a couple years from them.

I could probably set my X800 to Auto but since my receiver was capable of 4K passthrough and upscaling I didn't want to cause any issues like accidentally having the receiver vs the player do the downscaling when I play 4K discs because I'm pretty sure my slimline Marantz has a far inferior video scaling than the X800 (but that's a guess). I also worried the player would just put out 4K since the receiver is capable and since I have scaling turned off supposedly in the receiver I figured I'd end up with a no picture issue.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

No darn it
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry, Auto should work. I replaced my Oppo with a Panasonic UB820 and haven't looked back. Although it doesn't have the tank-like build quality of the Oppo, it's playback of shiny discs has been flawless.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Barry, Auto should work. I replaced my Oppo with a Panasonic UB820 and haven't looked back. Although it doesn't have the tank-like build quality of the Oppo, it's playback of shiny discs has been flawless.
    Really? WOW, just when a lot of people are hoarding them.

I wish I could find a deal on a 105 for audio spinning. My 103 is good but I have wondered what I may be missing. Yes, it is a sickness.

There's no cure either
    David Vaughn

I was told today that myprojector will not arrive before January.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

ugh...that sucks!
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    I was told today that myprojector will not arrive before January.
    Are they not out yet or your retailer can't fill all the orders?