Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My New GoldenEar Speakers

.......are freakin' HEAVY !!! OK, so here's the story.

Jerry hooks me up to go to CEDIA when it came to Atlanta a few years back. Of all the demos that I heard, a new (to me) speaker company blew my mind. While I was excited and expecting great things from the demo rooms, the reality was/is that they are far from the ideal experience. The show floor booths are really noisy and even when acoustic treatments are used, you have to take a bit of a leap of faith with what you hear in those rooms.

However, the GoldenEar Triton 2 speaker really didn't require that leap. They were dynamic, room-filling, with solid bass, effortless "airy" high frequencies, and imaged like few speakers have that I have ever heard. After leaving the show, I wanted those Triton 2s badly but I was equally hesitant to let go of my current tower speakers.

Fast forward to today, I finally made my peace with letting my old speakers go and sold them on one of the major AV classified sites. Now speakerless, I go to buy those Triton 2s which are now the upgraded 2+ when Jerry says, you should just get the Triton 1s and be done with it.

So.......this happened earlier today.

Name:  GE Speaker Pickup.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  53.3 KB

The pallet has about 250+lb of GoldenEar goodness. It was after dark and about 34 degrees when I got back home. I was able to get them unwrapped and unstrapped them from the pallet and maneuvered them into the garage. However, at 95lbs each, I'm going to need a little bit of assistance getting them downstairs and into the theater.

Normally I would bust out my hand trucks but they are at our other house. Maybe my daughter can help me when she gets home.

Anyway, this makes my entire main theater a full GoldenEar theater consisting of the Triton 1s, the SuperCenter XXL, HTR-7000 in-ceiling surrounds, and a SuperSub X subwoofer. I'll post more once I get them in and set up.

Did you say that the designer of Golden ear used to be with Polk in the beginning? if so I see the similarities in the speaker design of the Polk LSiM series.
    Familyroom HT;
    AVR Pioneer Elite SC Lx502
    Blu ray Pioneer Elite 85FD
    Music Pioneer Elite N-50/Logictech Touch
    Display Vizio P series 55" E1
    Pamamax 5300EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone128 View Post
    Did you say that the designer of Golden ear used to be with Polk in the beginning? if so I see the similarities in the speaker design of the Polk LSiM series.
    Yes, Sandy Gross was one of the original three founders of Polk (with Matthew Polk and George Klopfer), he then went on to start Definitive Technology with Don Givogue, Ed Blaise. He then started GoldenEar with Don Givogue.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Congrats on your new sonic family, I'm sure you are going to be thrilled. My lowly GE 2's are still giving me audio thrills when I get time to listen. My Polk side speakers makes me also surrounded by Grossness, except for the HSU.
    JR

I have some speaker envy Tracy. Let us know how they sound in your room and don't break your back!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Good work Tracy!

You will be thrilled with the Triton Ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    My lowly GE 2's are still giving me audio thrills when I get time to listen.
    There's absolutely nothing lowly about the Triton 2. That was the speaker that lit my fire for the brand and would be sitting in my room if not for Jerry's arm twisting. Yeah, it really took a lot of convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I have some speaker envy Tracy. Let us know how they sound in your room and don't break your back!
    We got them into the house and downstairs last night. I thought it was going to kill me (still having lower back issues from getting rear-ended) but our daughter was dertermined that we were getting them into the theater. She's a beast (12 years on a competition cheer team) and has a better six-pack that ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    Good work Tracy!

You will be thrilled with the Triton Ones.
    Thanks, hopefully I'll get them unboxed tonight and rerun ARC. I will likely need a better stand for the center as it is a good bit larger than my old one.

Tell Sandy if he's going to build a center channel that size he needs to get into the speaker stand business.

Nice! I was looking at some of their bookshelves/satellites for a while. I think I just couldn't pull the cost or something or determined the passive side radiator wasn't going to work in my environment or something. I know I've heard you guys rave about them for a while, and I did get to actually listen to them, the local non big-box AV chain here (2 stores and a mobile audio shop) carries them along with a lot of much more $$$$ stuff, NAD receivers, etc. Get some pics of those puppies unboxed!
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K