Philadelphia (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  philadelphia.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  26.1 KB

Plot
    Two competing lawyers join forces to sue a prestigious law firm for AIDS discrimination. As their unlikely friendship develops, their courage overcomes the prejudice and corruption of their powerful adversaries.

My Thoughts
    Two of the finest actors of their generation team up in this landmark 1993 film. Both are at the top of their game here and Hanks won his first of back-to-back Best Actor Oscars—the second came from Forrest Gump a year later. The film received a total of five Academy Award nominations with Bruce Springsteen winning the award for Best Music, Original Son for “Streets of Philadelphia.”

The film stands the test of time and is still as compelling today as it was 25 years ago and is still emotionally impactful and shows how far we’ve come as a society over the past few decades when it comes to understanding the AIDS epidemic and gay rights.

Video 9.0/10 (MVC)

Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• All-New featurette Teaser from (RED) and Coca-Cola
    • Commentary
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Music Video
    • “People Like Us: Making Philadelphia
    • “One Foot on a Banana Peel, the Other Foot in the Grave” Documentary
    • Courthouse Protest Footage and Interviews
    • Joe Miller’s Macready & Shilts Legal Services TV Spot
    • Original Making-of Featurette
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    My wife swears up and down that we had watched this film at some point over the last 25 years, but astoundingly, I don’t ever remember seeing it. Given the performances, it’s certainly something that I would have remembered seeing. Regardless, this is a fantastic film and has received a fitting remaster and new Atmos audio track from Sony and is an easy one to recommend.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I agree, a great movie.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I can't remember when I saw this one but you are right on the money about Hanks and Washington.

From the interviews that I have seen over the years, both come across as down to Earth and the kind of people who you could sit down and have a drink and a conversation with, without the big Hollywood persona.

I know plenty of "average people" who seem to think more of themselves than these two.

Tracy,

I think what's telling about both of them is that they are still married to their original spouses and are in long-term committed relationships. That says a lot about a person and their character. They don't run for the hills at the first sign of trouble, unlike the majority of Hollywood.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine