Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  mifallout.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  28.1 KB

Plot
    On a dangerous assignment to recover stolen plutonium, Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) chooses to save his friends over the mission, allowing it to fall into the hands of a deadly network of highly skilled operatives intent on destroying civilization. Now, with the world at risk, Ethan and his IMF team (Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, Rebecca Ferguson) are forced to work with a hard-hitting CIA agent (Henry Cavill) as they race against time to stop the nuclear threat.

My Thoughts
    Is it even possible for the Mission Impossible franchise to keep producing top-notch films? After the horrendous sequel to the successful launching of the movie franchise that was based on a popular TV show, many thought the franchise was dead in the water until J.J. Abrams came along and gave us the wildly fun MI: III. The four came along and wowed us even more. Finally, the fifth and we thought, well, it can’t get any better than this. Well, Fallout may not quite equal the excitement and energy of the past three movies, but it comes pretty damn close.

One thing that stands out is how comfortable each of the actors are in their roles. Cruise shines as the leading man and like past films, performs all of his stunts. In fact, he took two years to learn to fly a helicopter for this role and frankly, I’m surprised he can still walk after some of the stunts he’s performed. Hell, they had to stop shooting in order for his broken ankle to heal from the rooftop chase sequence. My only gripe about this film is that it’s a tad predictable when it comes to the villain, but that doesn’t take away from the fun of watching it more than once.

The video quality on this film is a mixed bag for a few reasons. First, it changes aspect ratio from 2.35:1 to 1.90:1 for the IMAX shots, which delver some of the best 4K video you’ll ever see in your home. The negative effect of the IMAX shots is the “regular” footage looks a tad soft and flat by comparison. The Dolby Atmos track is outstanding and certainly helps to draw you into the film and features ample LFE, a plethora of discrete effects, and an engaging use of the overhead speakers.

Video 9.0/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Three Audio Commentaries (UHD and BD)
    • Isolated Score Track (UHD and BD)
    • Behind the Fallout (Seven-part feature on inclusive BD Bonus Disc)
    • Deleted Scenes (BD Bonus Disc)
    • Foot Chase Musical Breakdown (BD Bonus Disc)
    • The Ultimate Mission (BD Bonus Disc)
    • Storyboards (BD Bonus Disc)
    • Theatrical Trailer (BD Bonus Disc)
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I love all but the second MI film and can’t wait for the seventh one to hit theaters in a couple of years. Sadly, with Cruise getting up in age I’m sure the plan will be to replace him at some point or have him move into a “management” role but still be tied to the franchise in some way due to his star power. Regardless, this is an excellent film and holds up well under multiple viewings. Furthermore, the UHD presentation is outstanding and deserves a place in your collection. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

thanks for the review. will check it out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Eventually one of these has got to suck. Statistically, its almost a certainty at this point-
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Well....#2 was damn-near unwatchable. Every other one is beyond solid! In fact, a much better track record than the Bond franchise (albeit a much smaller sample size).
    David Vaughn

Yup, I meant *since* part 2. Oh man was that a dissapointment. I went opening night, couldn't get tix after waiting in line for a good while as the first showing was sold out (Fandango wasn't a thing yet.) So I got tix for the later (midnight) show.

Then I saw the movie. It's like they said "as long as we have the masks in it, it's a Mission Impossible movie." Because EVERYTHING else about it felt like it took place in a completely different world from the first film. And the shootouts we ridiculous, and totally not in line with what MI was about. The stunts were just silly and over the top. Basically John Woo just applied all his Hong Kong shootout-film trademarks to a franchise that they don't work with.

Woo even put a bunch of distracting white doves in it, since doves are his 'thing'.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

David Vaughn

Greetings,

Nice review Dave. Not much else to add buddy...
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Familyroom HT;
    AVR Pioneer Elite SC Lx502
    Blu ray Pioneer Elite 85FD
    Music Pioneer Elite N-50/Logictech Touch
    Display Vizio P series 55" E1
    Pamamax 5300EX

Thanks
    David Vaughn

Hi David,

I will have the 4K version on Thursday, missed Wednesday by an hour or so.

Thanks for the review.
    Richard