Thread: New Oppo Update

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

New Oppo Update

Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

The lack of HDR10+ isn't an issue right now but it will be if the studios embrace it. However, it's good that Oppo is giving owners one last gift.

I'm wondering if the current lack of HDR10+ is the reason why one of our most active members sold his Oppo. I'm wondering if he might regret it after reading this.

No regrets. My display doesn't support it anyway
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Good news for my refurb 203, sort of. Only still have a 1080p display.
    JR

I'm confused I thought HDR10 was the main HDR format and DV was the new one. I don't have a 4K TV yet though so I guess I haven't looked that in depth yet. So did the OPPO players previously do 4K but no form of HDR?
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

You can thank Samsung for the + as they created and are pushing the new standard. If it were just Samsung I wouldn't worry too much about it as HDR10 is barely making traction. However, they currently have support from 20th Century Fox, Amazon, Panasonic, and Phillips and the technology really does make sense.

As I understand it, the main difference is HDR10 sends static metadata to the display. This contains instructions about brightness in a particular program. HDR10+ and Dolby Vision for that matter send metadata that is updated throughout the program that you are watching. I would assume that continually updated data makes for a better image.

The main difference between HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, as I understand it, is that HDR10+ and HDR10 are license-free.

I'm sure that David knows all the particulars and can add to or correct my info.

Ohhh, I see, there's a "+" in there. Ok now I get it. I knew I was missing something.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Ohhh, I see, there's a "+" in there. Ok now I get it. I knew I was missing something.
    I totally understand. Six months from now we'll be talking about HDR+2, HDR++, or HDR+ Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    You can thank Samsung for the + as they created and are pushing the new standard. If it were just Samsung I wouldn't worry too much about it as HDR10 is barely making traction. However, they currently have support from 20th Century Fox, Amazon, Panasonic, and Phillips and the technology really does make sense.

As I understand it, the main difference is HDR10 sends static metadata to the display. This contains instructions about brightness in a particular program. HDR10+ and Dolby Vision for that matter send metadata that is updated throughout the program that you are watching. I would assume that continually updated data makes for a better image.

The main difference between HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, as I understand it, is that HDR10+ and HDR10 are license-free.

I'm sure that David knows all the particulars and can add to or correct my info.
    Tracy, nothing to change. You hit the nail on the head.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine