The Equalizer 2 (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  equ2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  22.7 KB

Plot
    Denzel Washington returns to one of his signature roles in the first sequel of his career. Robert McCall serves an unflinching justice for the exploited and oppressed but how far will he go when that is someone he loves?

Directed by Antoine Fuqua and Written by Richard Wenk, THE EQUALIZER 2 is based on a television series by Michael Sloan and Richard Lindheim. The film is produced by Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal, Denzel Washington, Antoine Fuqua, Alex Siskin, Steve Tisch, Mace Neufeld, Tony Eldridge and Michael Sloan, with Molly Allen and David Bloomfield serving as executive producers.

My Thoughts
    It took me two viewings to like the first film due to the graphic violence, but Washington is one of my favorite actors and I watch pretty much anything he stars in. The plot of the sequel isn’t as deep as the first film, which is a bit disappointing, but it’s still a good watch for fans of its star.

The film was shot originally in 2.8K and had a 2K master for its theatrical run, so we’re left with a 4K upconversion which is a solid entry by Sony. Black levels are deep and inky and there’s plenty of depth to the image. The star of the A/V quality is definitely the Dolby Atmos track, which is one of the best you’ll ever hear—especially the last 30 minutes of the film. Have you ever wondered what a hurricane sounds like when it makes landfall? Well, pop this one in and you’ll get the experience without getting a drop of rain on you.

Video 8.5/10 (MVC)

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Retribution Mode (BD)
    • Deleted & Extended Scenes (BD)
    • Denzel as McCall: Round Two (BD)
    • Seconds Till Death: Action Breakdown (BD)
    • Through Antoine’s Lens: The Cast (BD)
    • TV Promos (BD)
    • Equalizer Trivia (BD)
    • Previews (BD)
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= HyNJ3UrGk_I

Conclusion
    While it pales in comparison to the first film, which is excellent, this is still a reasonable sequel that is much shallower by comparison. No worries though, sit back and enjoy the great A/V presentation and kill a couple hours with Washington, one of the finest actors of his generation. Recommended for fans.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Hmmm, I had this in my Netflix list for disc rental, but I do own the first one, so maybe I should just buy this directly. Between your review and the "ultimate bass movies" review on another forum I think I'd rather have the Atmos track than the DTS Master track that's on the blu-ray.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

The Atmos track kicks some serious ass!
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    The Atmos track kicks some serious ass!
    Yeah, I went ahead and cancelled it out of my Netflix queue, just gonna acquire the 4K disc.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

David Vaughn

So, another unexpected gift yesterday, got this as well as some other stuff. I took next Monday off plus having Tuesday off already so it's gonna be a fun filled 4 day weekend of movies to test all the new stuff