Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    $145 seems like a lot. Where did it have to go?

I shipped my Sunfire amp (about 50lb) from Georgia to Washington State for less than that. My speakers were shipped from Kentucky to Georgia (250 lbs on a pallet to a FedEx facility) was only $108.
    Wa to California. 15 pounds.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    I thought UPS owned those. Pretty deceptive. Does UPS own anything for full service like Kinko's/Fed Ex?
    Not that I know of. If you do use a UPS store, print the label at home and only use it as a drop off point (no charge for that). Also, NEVER throw away an electronics box for this very reason. Also, with the resale market being so good with Amazon and eBay, there's always value in selling old equipment. It's a pain to store the boxes, but the value it adds at resale is worth it to me personally.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

David's 100% correct, no big surprise.

When I shipped my amp, I knew it was going to be expensive. Luckily, I still had the original box but I put it into a larger one with some additional padding. Now that I think about it, it would have been over 50lb with all the additional protection.

It was a pain to do, but I took it to my local Office Depot and had the package weighed on their scale. I went home and prepaid with my FedEx account, printed the label, then dropped it back off at Office Depot for shipping. They will give you a receipt of drop off for proof if there is an issue. It's free to open a FedEx account, requires no credit card unless you ship, and you get a small discount over regular rates.

With electronics, it always good to double-box and use the original box and materials when you can. As you've found out, paying for that service hurts the wallet and I am cheap.

Either way, I know Oppo will repair it correctly and you will have many more years of service from your player.

Speaking of keeping packing materials, I still have the pallet that my speakers were shipped on. My basement and garage are jam-packed with my in-law's stuff so it's still in the back of my truck.

I really need to keep it just in case I ever have to ship them. I also have to keep it away from my sister-in-law. She likes pallets.

Tracy,

I wouldn't worry about keeping the pallet. Those are easy enough to come by for pretty cheap (most likely, free). All you need to do is swing by a grocery store and you'll find them stacked behind the store
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    All you need to do is swing by a grocery store and you'll find them stacked behind the store
    That would be a great way for me to make the local newspaper and their Facebook page.

I didn't say to steal them...you just ask if you can take one pallet and no one would object. If they do, then come back at night
    David Vaughn

All is well. Oppo was really impressive. 1 week total turnaround for $119 total including return shipping, & the unit works perfectly. My old region free board (93 & 95 only) is for sale if anyone wants to make an offer. No idea if it works or not..........
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

It's good to hear that it's back and running. I hope that Oppo continues to repair and support their players.