Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Power Went Out Last Night....... And It Took My Oppo 95 With It

Not sure if I can get it repaired. Oppo's website states they likely can't repair issues caused by power surges. I'm guessing the power supply is fried. GRRRR. I also have special firmware that can't be replaced. Of all my Electronics, it had to be the Oppo.

I am still hoping to find someone locally, but there are very few (possibly 0 based on my last 2 attempts) digital audio repair folks left in the Seattle area. The one guy I knew who did quality work on digital got very sick & retired.

There used to be a guy who did mods on Oppos about 200 miles from here, but I can't find him on the net.

I also saw Oppo's website note about them not really wanting to repair units that were damaged in power outages. Not a good sign, as the Oppo is one big computer. On the other hand, if I can't find someone locally, it is possible that I could pay $100 + shipping for a bloody fuse!

Funny, what I was worried about was $100 or so in food going bad. It's all fine. The only thing that died was the Oppo & it was on a $150 power conditioner......... MY $3k+ cd player & McCormack amplifier were on the same Adcom & they're fine.......... (All were in 3 pin "bypass" mode; for some reason the Adcom doesn't shut down the 3 pin outlets if a surge shuts the Adcom down)

I can't currently play blu at all (I've replaced lots of dvd's (including the Criterion Bergman box) for blu's including a significant # with Region B), SACD's sound mediocre & DVD's look mediocre on my Pioneer (back up universal player). I've also sold off many music cd's & replaced with formats that I can currently play only on my pc & in some cases my phone.

One way or the other, I have to get the Oppo situation resolved.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Man, that sucks. However, if it is related to the power supply, it's likely the easiest part to work on.

I would take the lid off and look for a fuse. Many times there is a small glass fuse right near where the power cord plugs in and its job is to blow when there is a power surge. It's worth a look before you ship it off.

Ditto what Tracy said.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I got a hold of several photos of the inside. I don't see any fuse. Oppo's charging $119 + 1 way shipping so I'm going to go that route. I hope my blu-ray region free board wasn't damaged.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    Oppo's charging $119 + 1 way shipping so I'm going to go that route. I hope my blu-ray region free board wasn't damaged.
    If you go this route, you might want to make it a point to tell them (several times) and even tape a note to the player itself that you do not want your firmware updated.

As for the photos, can you post them here? I would be interested in seeing them as I looked but didn't see the 95's internals.

I made it really clear on the firmware in writing. Re the photos: I found them somewhere on the net & didn't bookmark, sorry.

The good news is Oppo is only charging a total of $119 for the repair including shipping back to me no matter what is wrong.

The bad news:
    1. UPS charged me $144.50 to ship it to Oppo!

2. A tech friend says I MUST replace the blu-ray region free add on, which is another $100.

Grand total for the outgoing shipping to Oppo, repair & replacement region free circuit board was $347. Problem was a blown power circuit board.

Ironically the most expensive part was shipping from me to Oppo by UPS $145.

Breakdown:
    UPS: $145
    Repair AND return shipping $119
    Replacement region free board (2 techs told me not to risk plugging the old one back in) $83

I will NEVER use UPS again. $145 is a major rip off (15 pounds + packing it)

The unit should be here Wednesday if the signature required doesn't cross me up.

Not sure when the region free board will arrive, but I can go a week or 2 without playing UK blu & dvd's.

$145 seems like a lot. Where did it have to go?

I shipped my Sunfire amp (about 50lb) from Georgia to Washington State for less than that. My speakers were shipped from Kentucky to Georgia (250 lbs on a pallet to a FedEx facility) was only $108.

You had to have gone to the UPS store, which are privately owned and will rip you off.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    You had to have gone to the UPS store, which are privately owned and will rip you off.
    I thought UPS owned those. Pretty deceptive. Does UPS own anything for full service like Kinko's/Fed Ex?