Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Venom (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  venom.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  29.3 KB

Plot
    VENOM tells the evolution story of Marvel’s most enigmatic, complex and badass character Venom! Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) is a broken man after he loses everything including his job and fiancee. Just when his life is at its lowest, he becomes host to an alien symbiote which results in extraordinary superpowers - transforming him into Venom. Will these powers be enough for this new lethal protector to defeat great evil forces, especially against the far stronger and more weaponized symbiote rival, Riot?

My Thoughts
    My daughter got to see a private screening of this film on the Sony lot before its theatrical release and said that the movie was better than she thought it would be, and I have to agree with her assessment. The plot is rather thin and the main rival, Riot, is barely on the screen at any point in the movie except for the conclusion. What I found most entertaining was the interplay between Venom and Eddie, which provided a lot of LOL moments. Fortunately, the runtime of the movie is a rather short 90 or so minutes, but there are a couple of Easter eggs during the overtly long credits and a five-minute teaser for the new Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse movie.

Video 9.5/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features (Housed on Blu-ray Disc):

• Venom Mode
    • Deleted & Extended Scenes
    • From Sybiote to Screen
    • The Lethal Protector in Action
    • Venom Vision
    • Designing Venom
    • Symbiote Secrets
    • 8 Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequenc
    • “Venom” by Eminmem - Music Video
    • “Sunflowoer” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
    • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Coming in with low expectations probably helped me enjoy this more than I maybe should have. Some of the action sequenced dragged a bit, which were probably needed to make up for the pedestrian screenplay, but the A/V quality alone is worth at least one viewing. The first time you hear Venom speak up, it sounds like he’s in your own head because of the use of the Atmos speakers. Recommended for comic book fans.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Ugh, Netflix needs to start renting UHD discs. Yet again no Atmos on the blu-ray and I don't know if this one is buy worthy? Maybe I'll compromise and rent it on iTunes. Won't be as "reference" as a disc but iTunes shows it having an Atmos track.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

So I did rent this on iTunes and was not super impressed with the audio. I never got a chance to go back and compare with Audyssey Dynamic EQ shut off just to make sure that wasn't doing anything weird (usually it's not an issue) but the sound overall seemed compressed and the bass was definitely lacking real punch (unexpected especially with Dynamic EQ on). However I randomly acquired this as a Christmas gift yesterday in 4K so now I'm really looking forward to watching it a second time and comparing vs the iTunes version. Don't get me wrong, we still enjoyed the rental but if the disc sounds as good as I hope it does, it definitely reinforces that lossless disc formats are far superior to streaming no matter what the various streaming providers want you to think.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

All streaming is compressed by comparison. You should be able to hear a pretty substantial difference between the two.
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    All streaming is compressed by comparison. You should be able to hear a pretty substantial difference between the two.
    Yeah I hope so. If not, then there's just something about the soundtrack on it I'm not liking. I say this because for instance I've watched Lost in Space via Netflix on my AppleTV as well, in Atmos, and the sound overall on it seemed great and I've never heard anything yet really sound "compressed" on it. I have watched very little iTunes content on it though so I don't know if it's an issue with iTunes content, the movie was so new they messed up the encoding on it for iTunes, or what. Of course, I have also replaced all of my speakers since watching Lost in Space so it could be that the new speakers are really good at revealing flaws in content.

I liked this one as well. The horrendous reviews tempered my expectations, but I'll watch Tom Hardy in anything.

NOTE TO PEOPLE MAKING BIG BLOCKBUSTERS THESE DAYS:

A 90-minute movie is FINE. In this case, perfect. Dumb fun, cool effects, and Tom Hardy. Pass the popcorn.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Exactly Brandon. Movie bloat is a HUGE problem these days. It's like movie makers skipped editing class. Michael Bay is generally the worst
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    I liked this one as well. The horrendous reviews tempered my expectations, but I'll watch Tom Hardy in anything.

NOTE TO PEOPLE MAKING BIG BLOCKBUSTERS THESE DAYS:

A 90-minute movie is FINE. In this case, perfect. Dumb fun, cool effects, and Tom Hardy. Pass the popcorn.
    So I was really confused about the 90 minute thing cause when I rented it on iTunes it was showing the time bar as nearly two hours. Turns out it was because the Spiderman animated preview thing was baked into it plus of course the credits and such. I actually don't mind long movies..........if the length helps the story out. For instance Revenge of the Sith could definitely have benefited from an extra 20-30 minutes to flesh out Anakin's fall better, if not splitting it into two separate movies like the 7th Harry Potter book. Then there are definitely the 2+ hour movies where you're like "is it nearly over?" an hour in.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Exactly Brandon. Movie bloat is a HUGE problem these days. It's like movie makers skipped editing class. Michael Bay is generally the worst
    Yup. Aquaman is as long as 2001 A Space Odyssey. WHYYYYYY? It's a deterrent to me. By contrast, so was Infinity War, but felt like far less, and left me wanting more. Wolf of Wall Street is 3hrs and feels like 90m. So, I guess the quality of the film affects the perceived running time. Who'd have thought?
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    For instance Revenge of the Sith could definitely have benefited from an extra 20-30 minutes to flesh out Anakin's fall better....
    They had 3 movies to do that. 7+ hours. Not having enough time to flesh things out was not the issue. Awful writing was.