The House with a Clock in its Walls (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  house.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  32.6 KB

Plot
    Jack Black and Cate Blanchett star in this magical adventure of 10-year-old Lewis who goes to live with his uncle in a creaky old house with a mysterious tick-tocking heart. But his new town’s sleepy façade jolts to life with a secret world of warlocks and witches.

My Thoughts
    I almost skipped this one but my daughter convinced me to request it because she thought my wife and I would enjoy it—and she was right! While not a great film, it hits a lot of high notes with its innocence, magic, and engaging story. Furthermore, the Dolby Atmos track is simply amazing—as in one of the best EVER! To say the soundtrack is engaging would be an understatement. The use of every speaker in the room really captures the spirit of what’s happening on screen and definitely gives you that “being there” effect.

Video 8.5/10 (MVC)

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features (Housed on Blu-ray Disc):

• Warlocks and Witches
    • Movie Magic
    • Tick Tock: Bring the Book to Life
    • Eli Roth: Director’s Journals
    • Owen Goes Behind the Scenes
    • Theme Song Challenge
    • Do you Know Jack Black?
    • Abracadabra!
    • Jack Black’s Greatest Fear
    • The Mighty Wurlitzer
    • Alternate Opening and Ending with Commentary
    • Deleted Scenes with Commentary
    • Gag Reel
    • Feature Commentary
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Director Eli Roth is more known for his gore-infested movies, so it’s surprising he would direct this film catered towards a younger audience. Needless to say, he was up for the task and provides a good balance between family fun and just enough creepiness to make it interesting without giving the younglings nightmares. If you’re Atmos equipped, definitely check this one out for the audio track alone. You won’t be disappointed.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Nice, had heard some about this, going to add it to Netflix. I just checked and the blu-ray actually has an Atmos track on it.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K