Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Schindler's List: 25th Anniversary Edition (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  schindlers.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  25.4 KB

Plot
    This incredible true story follows the enigmatic Oskar Schindler, who saved the lives of more than 1,100 Jews during the Holocaust. It is the triumph of one man who made a difference and the drama of those who survived one of the darkest chapters in human history because of what he did.

My thoughts:
    I watched this film for the second time five years ago when it was released on Blu-ray and it remains just as powerful no matter how many times I’ve seen it. This is one of Spielberg's best films, which is quite an achievement considering his powerful resume. I remember watching this with my teenage kids five years ago and they learned a lot about the holocaust that our public school system didn’t teach them.

One thing I found particularly interesting was that while Schindler ultimately did the right thing, his motive for using the Jews as laborers was done for one reason—profit. They were cheaper to use versus the local laborers and he could make a lot more money by paying the Nazis versus actual wages. It was his trusted business advisor Itzhak Stern, who was a Jew, began maneuvering his friends into Schindler's factory to keep them from being sent to concentration camps that Schindler started to notice the horrific actions of the Nazis. Once the light bulb went off, the hero of the film—and of history—spent his entire fortune in order to save as many lives as he could.

The performances in the film are powerful from the main cast, particularly for Ralph Fiennes who plays the psychotic Nazi Amon Goeth. Neeson and Kingsley command every scene they're in and the cinematography has stood the test of time.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 8/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Voices From the List
    • USC Shoah Foundation Story with Steven Spielberg
    • About IWitness
    • Let Their Testimonies Speak
    • Schindler’s List: 25 Years Later (NEW)
    • Digital Copy

Conclusion

It’s nice to see that there’s a new supplement celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the film. The UHD presentation is nearly very good and the true story will bring you to tears and at the same time help restore your faith in humanity. When someone such as Oskar Schindler puts his own life and fortune on the line to save over 1,000 souls it gives one hope that there's a fighting chance for the human race after all. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Dave, how was the HDR in this?

I watched Roma in 4K UHD Dolby Vision on Netflix and the contrast, being a black and white film, was spectacular!

I am hoping the same for Schindler's List. Though i remember this having a bit of grain.

It's intentionally grainy, which may turn some people off. It's the best the film has looked on home video. It's definitely an improvement over the Blu-ray.
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    It's intentionally grainy, which may turn some people off.
    Not me.

Fun fact: they do what's called a 'grain pass' with digital video, adding simulated film grain to the image----digitally.

So we started out with a great way to capture images----film. Then came up with a 'better' one. Digital. It's sharper, at least, sort of. But THEN we go back and digitally add analog grain to a digitally captured image.

Our latest technology creates the need for an even later technology, in order to reproduce the quality of the earlier technology that was replaced by the then-latest.

Merry Christmas!
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Progress!
    David Vaughn

Great movie, great movie, important movie. I held out until the end...the last ten minutes made me cry.

two things: I have the blu ray, shouldI go 4K?

And they weren’t laborers, they were slaves.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry...yes, they were slaves. Second, it depends on if it's a movie you'll watch again anytime soon. The Blu-ray looks great, but I'm sure the 4K will look fantastic when your new projector arrives!
    David Vaughn

Thanks DV! I’ll go 4k! Hey theypromised early January
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Thanks DV! I’ll go 4k! Hey theypromised early January
    I wouldn't hold my breath. My bet is late January, but should be here in no time!
    David Vaughn

Great film about one of the most horrific events of our lifetime. I haven't seen it in a very long time but it's certainly worth a rewatch.

Thanks for the review and for reminding me of this great film.