Night School (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  night school.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  26.4 KB

Plot
    Successful salesman Teddy Walker’s (Kevin Hart, Jumanji, Ride Along 1 & 2) life turns around after getting fired for accidentally destroying his workplace. Forced to attend night school so he can finally get his GED and find another job, Teddy soon finds himself amongst a group of misfit students, a teacher with no patience for grown up class clowns named Carrie (Tiffany Haddish, Girls Trip, Uncle Drew) and his high school nemesis-turned-principal Stewart (Taran Killam, Killing Gunther, Ted 2) who will strive to make sure he fails the course. With every rule in the book about to be broken, Teddy and his new friends find themselves in a battle of pranks and wit that you can’t simply learn in the classroom.

My thoughts:
    Kevin Hart movies are generally hit or miss for me—well, more miss than hit, to be completely honest. I’ve liked two of his recent films; Central Intelligence and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, but that may have had more to do with Dwayne Johnson being in the movies rather than him carrying the load by himself. Regardless, this one is a complete miss.

Shockingly, the film turned a profit and scored $77 million at the US box office with a production budget of $29 million, which may explain why movies like this keep getting made. My wife and I sat down to watch it with very low expectations and still weren’t impressed. Sure, there were a couple of scenes that made us laugh, but the 20-plus minutes between these sporadic moments seemed like 20 years while trudging through the pedestrian and predictable screenplay. On a positive note, it looked and sounded great for a comedy!

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Extended Cut
    • Gag Reel Extra Credit
    • Alternate Opening
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Night School’s In Session
    • Who’s the Student? Who’s the Teacher?
    • Prom Night Revisited
    • Cap ‘n Gown ‘n Giggles
    • Making of the Dance Battle
    • Christian Chicken
    • Game Over
    • Extended Performance “El Sueno”
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    It’s rare that I like a comedy these days. They’re either too crude or too stupid for me to enjoy. In this case, the crudeness is kept to a minimum but the corniness is on full display. Sure, there are a few laughs here and there, but at nearly 2 hours long, this could have been edited down quite a bit to make the pacing much more enjoyable and maybe would have improved the entertainment value.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review! I will wait for HBO
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Thanks for the review! I will wait for HBO
    Keep the remote in your hand...you'll probably need to use it to change the channel within the first 30-40 minutes, if not sooner!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I don't get the appeal of Kevin Hart but I haven't seen Central Intelligence or Jumanji. When I see him on the so-called entertainment shows and other interviews, I just don't see it.

I kind of get the same feeling about Haddish but I haven't seen any of her work. I'll try and keep an open mind about her but I find very few of the new batch of comedians, funny.