Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Book

Green Book

I went to see this movie for my birthday Saturday night, its a time piece period and to really get the meaning/subject matter of this film I would say that you need to be 55 years or older. This story is just another hidden gem of our society and our history when it comes to race relations. From the perspective as a black American (me) I fully understand many of the issues that are covered in the film (including the Green book itself) most people have never heard of the Green Book nor seen one. I can say, that I have, but never fully understood its purpose until I became an adult. For me, being born the year before this true story took place was an reawakening of road trips with family members, and the reason why we would pack our own food and change drivers during our trips so not have to stop to rest. As a child I thought it was all about the adventure, but was never told or heard any complaints from my family about the reasons why we never stopped for food. Overall its a story of a true bond of friendship that develops between to people that actually have more in common then they think.
    Familyroom HT;
    AVR Pioneer Elite SC Lx502
    Blu ray Pioneer Elite 85FD
    Music Pioneer Elite N-50/Logictech Touch
    Display Vizio P series 55" E1
    Pamamax 5300EX

Happy Birthday !!!

I remember seeing the ad for this film and wondering what it was about. My first thought was that it was a Driving Miss Dasey reboot. I'm not quite to the 55 mark (getting close) but I have never understood racism.

I am Southern born, raised, and still live here. I have seen a lot of ignorance in my time and I still don't get it. I don't care if you are black, white, green yellow or purple. I judge everyone on their character which often times directly relates to their actions.

Thanks for bringing this film to my attention. I want to see it but will wait for the Blu-ray release.

Happy birthday! My best friend in college (and we are still friends to this day) is black and I've seen racism first hand being at his side. I don't get it either...what does the color of a person's skin have anything to do with their character? I'm a color blind person and give everyone the benefit of a blank slate until they do something to change my mind.

As for the movie, I've heard great things about it and I can't wait to see it when it hits Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray next year. Besides the movie, did you get anything good for your birthday?
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Happy birthday! My best friend in college (and we are still friends to this day) is black and I've seen racism first hand being at his side. I don't get it either...what does the color of a person's skin have anything to do with their character? I'm a color blind person and give everyone the benefit of a blank slate until they do something to change my mind.

As for the movie, I've heard great things about it and I can't wait to see it when it hits Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray next year. Besides the movie, did you get anything good for your birthday?
    David, I am one of those people that is hard to buy for (unless you have a unlimited budget LOL). At my age I reflect back and give thanks to the many that have help me along my path of life. I say, tell those that have help shape who you are while they can still appreciate it.

The SVS PB-4000's were my gift to myself LOL.
    Last edited by recoveryone128; 12-23-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Familyroom HT;
    AVR Pioneer Elite SC Lx502
    Blu ray Pioneer Elite 85FD
    Music Pioneer Elite N-50/Logictech Touch
    Display Vizio P series 55" E1
    Pamamax 5300EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone128 View Post
    The SVS PB-4000's were my gift to myself LOL.
    That's a really nice gift.

My best friend in college (and we are still friends to this day) is black
    Ralph? If so, I didn't realize you guys had known each other that long. That's a L---O---N---G time ago, right?

I saw and loved this movie! It will be even better for New Yorkers who were around at thr beginning of the 1960s and for Italian and African Americans. It is serious, funny and absoultely predictable. I loved it. Seriously, it reminded me of the last Jumanji movie!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Ralph? If so, I didn't realize you guys had known each other that long. That's a L---O---N---G time ago, right?

No, not Ralph, but he and I are very close. In fact, we spoke on the phone today He's my brother from another mother...our birthdays are the same day, but he's five years older
    David Vaughn

our birthdays are the same day, but he's five years older
    I'm sure he loves you pointing that out.

It never gets old
    David Vaughn