Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Qobuz's David Soloman Talks Hi-Rez Audio

I read a lot of "buzz" about the new high-resolution music service Qobuz coming to the USA.

I found an interview with David Soloman discussing some of the company's goals and he makes a lot of sense.

What do you think? I like the way he lays it out there that although they want to offer better quality, (the best that they can get their hands on) music doesn't have to be 24/192 to sound good.

I can't play You Tube on this pc. Are they still going to sell downloads, or only streaming? Did he give a timeline for the USA market?
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    I can't play You Tube on this pc. Are they still going to sell downloads, or only streaming? Did he give a timeline for the USA market?
    There was no mention of a timeline for the USA but I followed a link to their site and there were several packages listed. One of them said it included a discounted rate for downloads.

I'm wondering if they're ever going to even make it over here since they gave us 2 deadlines last year & still haven't opened. It does seem to me that hi-res is bigger in Europe & in Japan then in North America where the kiddies are embracing lossy streaming.

There are a number of releases that only come out in 24 bit in Europe & SACD in Japan.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Europe and Japan have also traditionally invested more into their country's digital infrastructure. For the longest time that have had better and faster Internet service than the USA, as a whole.

Until the last year or so, Qobuz was mostly focused on downloads. It's only been fairly recently that streaming has become their main focus. I'm wondering if the hold up is licensing &/or they're still deciding if there is any profit in the USA hi-res market (streaming or downloading).

I spoke with a USA boutique jazz record label who's likely going to be going under recently, & suggested they consider downloads rather than physical product to reduce overhead costs. Their response was basically that they had already tried, but the same major labels that were glad to license physical product refused to license the same product for download. And this is pretty esoteric classic jazz that doesn't have much of a market. So the labels must be really weird about stuff that sells in any volume.

I can see the record labels not liking downloads at all. It takes a tiny bit of knowledge to rip a CD and suddenly you have a CD quality copy to sell or share. However, take a higher resolution digital file and suddenly you have the ability to do the same thing yet it's a higher quality product. A product that many people consider a higher value one. In many cases, it could be a bit-perfect copy to the studio master.

Looks like they are now asking for Beta-testers in the US. https://try.qobuz.com/qobuz-us-beta-...&utm_medium=CM

From their Facebook page:

Name:  qubuz beta.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  41.6 KB

I signed up for the beta last week. Still waiting for a reply (they say they will respond within a week or so after you fill out their survey). Unfortunately I think it's streaming only.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    I signed up for the beta last week. Still waiting for a reply (they say they will respond within a week or so after you fill out their survey). Unfortunately I think it's streaming only.
    Hopefully you will be accepted as a tester. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about the service since you are on top of things when it comes to music audio quality.