Name:  goose.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  35.4 KB

Plot
Be careful what you wish for. With their after-school junk business, best friends Sonny and Sam hope to find treasure in other people’s trash. But when cleaning out the old Stine house, they open a locked book that frees a supernatural nightmare- Slappy! Now, with the help of Sonny’s sister Sarah, they’re in a race against time to get the sinister dummy and all the creatures he’s brought to life back into the pages before he unleashes total pandemonium!

My Thoughts
The film is based on the Scholastic book series by R.L. Stein and is a follow-up to the 2015 release which grossed over $80 million in the USA. I haven’t seen the original and didn’t know what to expect and both my wife and I enjoyed the saccharine entertainment value of the film. It’s geared towards younger audiences and as such there’s some juvenile humor and not a lot of scares, although when the dummy starts talking for the first time it is somewhat of a shock.

Jack Black’s role doesn’t really come into play until the third act and the writer/director relies on the young cast to carry the film and fortunately, they do a good job. Madison Iseman plays the older sister and when watching the film, I thought I had seen her before and it turns out she was one of the teenagers from Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. The young boys have good chemistry and good comedic timing, which isn’t always the case with young actors.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Gag Reel
  • Three Deleted Scenes
  • Five Featurettes
  • Three Slappy-Oke Sing-a-longs
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
If you have younger kids and are looking for a decent movie to add to your Halloween movie queue, be sure to check this one out. It isn’t too scary, has a few laughs, and the visual effects are pretty good. Throw in excellent audio and video and you have a film that will please everyone in the family. Recommended.