The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  nutcracker.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  44.3 KB

Plot
    Clara travels along a golden thread, presented at Drosselmeyer’s (Morgan Freeman) annual party, eagerly searching for a one-of-a-kind key that will unlock a music box that holds a priceless gift. When she enters a mysterious parallel world, Clara encounters a Nutcracker soldier named Phillip (Jayden Fowora-Knight), a gang of mice and three Realm regents, including the Sugar Plum Fairy (Keira Knightley). Ultimately, she must brave the ominous Fourth Realm, home to the tyrant Mother Ginger (Helen Mirren), to retrieve the key and return harmony to the unstable world.

My Thoughts
    My daughter saw this film months ago and warned me that my wife and I wouldn’t like it and she was 100% correct. The production value is through the roof and the video encode is pure eye candy, but the story is boring, character development poor, and the dialog is downright cringe-worthy in too many scenes. How this got approved by Disney is beyond imagination considering the limited number of films they make each year. Needless to say, thank goodness the studio has the uber-hits from Marvel to cover the losses this film brought to the bottom line.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• On Pointe: A Conversation with Misty Copeland
    • Unwrapping “the Nutcracker and the Four Realms”
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Music Videos
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I’ve never been a huge fan of The Nutcracker when seeing the live ballet and in fact, my favorite rendition of the tale is Barbie: The Nutcracker, which came out when my kids were really young. Regardless, this is a major miss from the House of Mouse and other than the stellar audio and video, there really isn’t a compelling need to watch this film.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

When I read the title (the Four Realms) of course my mind went to Game of Thrones, but it would be missing a few realms.

This is the first I have heard of this one. Is Disney promoting it much? I never even heard of it in theaters.

It was promoted, but hit theaters with a loud dud.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine