Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name:  E18DF604-684D-4EA2-BE7F-B0D63B3766A3.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  13.2 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

well, like usual the academy poopoos all over my favorite films. First Man was basically ignored. Crazy to think, but when Black Panther and Mary Poppins Returns get best score nods and First Man doesnt, it says a lot about ur awards show. Cant wait to rewatch First Man on Oscar Sunday night!

I'm boycotting the Oscars for the second year in a row.
    David Vaughn

David, you love the word boycott. What’s the difference between not watching and boycotting? I don’t follow football, so am I boycotting the Super bowl?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry, I watched the Oscars every year since I was 8 years old. I skipped it last year after watching for 40 years straight. I'm skipping it again this year. I'm sick of Hollywood's hypocrisy and with them thinking they are better than all of us and how we should live our lives. I still love the movies but don't want or have to watch award shows anymore. I'll read about them the next day
    David Vaughn

David,
    You love the word boycott, maybe because it puts a political slant on it. I don’t watch Oprah, but that is because don’t watch Oprah, it’s not a boycott. You were boycotting ABC because they cancelled Last Man Standing, but really because they had shows on that you didn’t want to see. But boycott sounds better.

I ignore the Academy awards and always have. It started when Midnight Cowboy (1969) came out and Dustin Hoffman and John Voight were nominated, but the award went to John Wayne, who always just played John Wayne. It was popularity contest and publicity for the movie industry.

I had a girlfriend who watched the Golden Globes. I’d always ask, “who are the voters?” No one knew. They would tell you their profession, but not who they were. Why does this have weight? Who cares what these anonymous people think? And do people in Europe see Blazing Saddles like I do, a parody of the westerns?

So what do I do? I read your reviews and listen to my friends. Stan and Ollie got stiffed, but it was a great movie, with wonderful performances. I loved Green Book. And you know I am a Marvel fan, but would NEVER give best picture to the Black Panther. So if you are called by a panther, don't anther
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Barry, I'm boycotting the awards for political reasons...so yes, it's a boycott!

As for ABC, I still don't watch the network and I liked Modern Family, but am skipping it to send a message.
    David Vaughn

I'm boycotting, boycotting. Actually, I don't care for awards shows.

I am going to rent First Man but it might be the weekend. I'm boycotting the Super Bowl so maybe Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Barry, I'm boycotting the awards for political reasons...so yes, it's a boycott!

As for ABC, I still don't watch the network and I liked Modern Family, but am skipping it to send a message.
    You are not missing anything this season. By the way, who is getting your message?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp