Nolan incoming. In IMAX.

Christopher Nolan's next film will be out in summer 2020, and it will be in IMAX:

https://deadline.com/2019/01/warner-bros-dates-next-christopher-nolan-movie-for-summer-2020-1202542078/

(I'm assuming that means 70mm 15-perf IMAX film, because Chris gets what he wants.)

Time to dust off those projectors.

I am happy about this.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

No description, no title, no.....nothing. It reminds me of early Infinity auto commercials where they showed brief close-up glimpses of the car but never told you what it was.

Was Nolan in charge of PR for Infinity too?

Nolan seems to have reached dare I say Kubrick levels of respect and/or trust in the industry. They really don't need to tell you anything, just knowing its a Nolan flick is enough to start the hype train. He's never had a failure, all his films make money, most get Oscar noms for something, and all have a majority of positive reviews.

It's the IMAX aspect that's most exciting to me. I don't love all his films (Insomnia and Inception are just OK, though the former has great performances, and the latter is technically amazing, overall they just didn't gel for me. And Dark Knight Rises needed like 30m cut, way too long.)

Anyway, I know all I need to know to buy 6 tickets in advance, same as I did with Dunkirk. (Though I only made 3 of the shows.)

I've been hoping they do a Nolan respective in IMAX at some point. (Though they re-released The Dark Knight very limited, and I missed it.) Need to see those films in all their glory again. Interstellar especially.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I liked Dunkirk but it gives you a bit of storytelling whiplash. Maybe I need to watch it again.

The Dark Knight made Bale Batman to me it, Inception and Interstellar, I loved.

Dunkirk is better the second time you watch it. I wasn't thrilled the first time though, but really liked the second viewing. My favorite film of his is Inception because it's such a layered film that re-watching it multiple times still allows you to find something new with the store. The entire dreams within dreams was brilliant, although confusion the first time watching it.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

always in for his films! love the use of IMAX cameras in them as well. A nice little anecdote below:

"Steven Soderbergh did a pre-movie Q&A before High Flying Bird and former collaborators sent in questions. Christopher Nolan asked when he’ll leave the dark side and return to celluloid. Soderbergh said he would when Nolan writes his next script with a pencil."

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Dunkirk is better the second time you watch it. I wasn't thrilled the first time though, but really liked the second viewing. My favorite film of his is Inception because it's such a layered film that re-watching it multiple times still allows you to find something new with the store. The entire dreams within dreams was brilliant, although confusion the first time watching it.
    Yes. In fact I didn't like Dunkirk much on first viewing. Zero characterization, practically no story, just events happening, the pace never letting up *for the entire film*. And even when you realized how the different scenarios synced up (if at all) it felt a bit forced as a storytelling construct. But subsequent watches let me enjoy it for what it is, not what I expected it might be.

Inception simply asks too much of the viewer. Complex rules with no reasoning behind them. Too much suspension of disbelief. And the ending to both main narrative strands felt like a cop-out to me.

Plus, how on earth do you stage a grand "snow attack on the evil lair" scene and make if boring as hell? Waves of guys shooting machine guns, all sorts of action and explosions, and... it was so blah. Nolan should have watched more James Bond flicks.

See? I don't give Nolan a free pass
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 01-29-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks for sharing this, gave a laugh-

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    always in for his films! love the use of IMAX cameras in them as well. A nice little anecdote below:

"Steven Soderbergh did a pre-movie Q&A before High Flying Bird and former collaborators sent in questions. Christopher Nolan asked when he’ll leave the dark side and return to celluloid. Soderbergh said he would when Nolan writes his next script with a pencil."
    Pretty dumb response by Soderbergh, who sounds a little insecure. One is an instrument, the other a format, so his metaphorical comeback makes no sense. Sex, Lies, and Videotape was a long time ago... And shot on film.

I generally like Nolan's films, but the thing I really respect about the guy is his commitment to using the best possible moving image format ever created. He dipped his toes in the IMAX 70mm waters with The Dark Knight, realized how amazing it was, and started incorporating it into his films going forward, despite the cost and complexities involved.

I would have tremendous respect for him simply sticking to 35mm, but he is single-handedly keeping IMAX 70mm alive as a viable option for filmmakers.

Perhaps this film will be the first feature ever shot fully on 70mm IMAX?*

(*Infinity War on "IMAX" video cameras doesn't count.)
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 01-29-2019 at 08:56 PM.