Hunter Killer (Blu-ray) review

Name:  hunter.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  30.9 KB

Plot
    Deep under the Arctic Ocean, American submarine Captain Joe Glass (Butler) is on the hunt for a U.S. sub in distress when he uncovers a secret Russian coup threatening to dismantle the world order. With crew and country on the line, Captain Glass must now assemble an elite group of Navy SEALs to rescue the kidnapped Russian president and sneak through enemy waters to stop WWIII.
    My Thoughts
    I was on the fence reviewing this one due to the trailer and somewhat bad word of mouth. Boy do I have regrets now. Two hours of my life down the tubes. If one didn’t know better, you’d think this was a parody of other sub movies because it has every cliché from any and every submarine movie you’ve ever seen thrown into the mix. I’m not a hug fan of Gerard Butler, especially with his fake American accent where a tinge of Scottish leaks in from time to time, which I find very distracting.
    Regardless, I was turned off by this movie within the first 10 minutes and if it weren’t for the phenomenal Atmos track, I would have given up. The audio is outstanding, especially if you like bass. In fact, this dips well below 20Hz on many occasions and I found a new rattle in my room that I’ll be fixing over the weekend.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 5/5 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary
    • Surface Tension: Declassifying Hunter Killer

Conclusion
    I spoke to Ralph Potts earlier this week and he liked the movie more than he though he would and we’ve been having a lot of fun going back and forth regarding our tastes in movies, but in this case, Ralph is way off base. The acting is horrible, the story completely implausible, and other than the outstanding audio, there really isn’t any reason to watch this movie unless you’re looking for a good laugh. Skip it.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Greetings,

Listen Dave, don't blame me if you're just grumpy and sat down to watch this one while at your peak.

Seriously though, this one seriously lacking in the plausibility department but, I knew going in that it wasn't going to capably reach the summit of its subject matter. I took it for what it was and had some fun. Like I told Dave, grab a glass of wine, chill and keep it all in perspective.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

What the AV world needs is another great sub movie and come to think of it, I haven't watched a bad one.

Das Boot
    The Hunt for Red October
    Crimson Tide
    U-571

Even one of the only TV shows that I will actually sit through, Seal Team, just had a sub episode and it was pretty decent. You have to try pretty hard to screw up a sub flick. Sure you weren't just angry about being a fisical conservative living in and drowning in a liberal ocean, David?

Maybe you should skip the wine and go directly for a nice single malt.

Tracy, to say it's unbelievable gives unbelievable movies a bad name.
    David Vaughn

oh man this sounds amazing!! cant wait to grab it at the box!

will it be able to surpass that juggernaut Geostorm? Or the unforgettable London Has Fallen?!

goosebumps in anticipation.

LOL I added this to my Netflix disc queue for one reason. The AVS Forum bass thread says it's insane. Definitely not expecting a great movie but hopefully the audio will make up for it. If the blu-ray didn't have Atmos I probably would have skipped it. No way I'm buying it on 4K disc.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Sounds like the LFE track is the reason to watch this one. I may give it a shot but as a rental.

My new-ish sub needs to be exercised.

It will definitely exercise your subwoofer. This literally goes subterranean.
    David Vaughn