Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've had the Sennheiser HD 6xx for a few weeks now and here are my initial thoughts.

First off, I think they need more hours on them and here's why. I bought them primarily to sit in the family room and listen to music, Youtube... while my wife watches TV. For music, on my laptop, the Bowers & Wilkins sound better. Why you ask?

The HD 6xx sound really flat while the B&W sound full and dynamic but there's more. Confused at not being blown away at the sound quality of the 6xx, I took them downstairs to my two-channel rig and plugged them directly into my Yamaha C60 stereo preamp..........now we're talkin'. The 6xx sound full, dynamic, and more of what I was expecting.

It turns out that they are a bit harder to drive than my B&W and looking at the specs, they are 300-ohm headphones while the B&W P3 Series 2 are 34-ohms making the B&W easier to drive with the undoubtedly lower quality, lower output of my lower-end laptop.

So...........now I have a bit of a conundrum. The B&W sound better but are not as comfortable which is the sole reason for me buying the 6xx.

I'm debating on buying (actually building) a headphone amp for the 6xx but I'll not sure I want to deal with an external amp while I have my laptop literally sitting on my lap. When I'm downstairs, I'm going to use my GoldenEar tower speakers rather than headphones.

I will say this about the two. The B&W are mostly metal construction where the 6xx has a good many plastic parts. The B&W have a really thin and fragile-looking wire that could easily be damaged if you were not careful where the 6xx looks very sturdy and well-made. Also, the 6xx cable plugs into the bottom of each headphone with a beefy-looking connector, making it very easy to remove the cable for travel, storage, or if you should have to replace it for some reason. There are also manufacturers that offer cable "upgrades" for the 6xx if you should be into that kind of thing. The B&W has the wires routed into each side. To remove the wire you have to take the ear pads off and remove the wire from the little wire guides.

The 6xx wins (hands down) for comfort, at least with my ears. The 6xx earpads fit around the ears while the P3 SII fit onto the outside of the ears. I can wear the 6xx for a much longer time although I do have to take a break even with them.

I look forward to spending more time with the 6xx and may go ahead and look into building a headphone amp. I'm a DIY kind of guy and love plugging in the soldering iron. Wayne Colburn at Pass Labs designed a headphone amp for his personal use. He has released the rights for the DIY community to use his design and the circuit board along with the list of parts is being sold here, https://diyaudiostore.com/products/whammy

Looks like a good Spring project.

Thanks for the update. Yeah it sounds like you definitely need an amp. My desktop actually has a built in headphone amp that supposedly works up to 600ohm headphones but I moved to the Schiit stuff anyway just for cleaner sound. First the amp plugged into the headphone output, and then eventually their DAC plugged into USB instead and the amp of course plugged into that. If I plug my 250ohm Beyer DT-880 into something like a phone with no amp or a laptop it's definitely a noticeable sound difference.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Thanks for the update. Yeah it sounds like you definitely need an amp. My desktop actually has a built in headphone amp that supposedly works up to 600ohm headphones but I moved to the Schiit stuff anyway just for cleaner sound.
    If I don't go the DIY route, I'll likely buy a Schiit amp and DAC.